Women's suit: 40s??

donnah

Registered Guest
Women\'s suit: 40s??

Hello once again everyone! I actually have two garments that I'm hoping for help with. I'll start two threads, however, as I think it's too many photos for just one.

Firstly, I'm hoping you may be able to help me with this Lord & Taylor suit. I just can't decide on a date for it. The boxy cut of the jacket is really throwing me off. And the fitted skirt has a longer length. The skirt is lined in a black linen-like material. The buttons are a painted metal. Also, any ideas on the fabric type?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

ltsuit9e.jpg

ltsuit9i.jpg

ltsuitm.jpg

ltsuit9ca.jpg

ltsuit9k.jpg

I immediately thought maternity too, Mary Jane! Either that or plus size in need of more pinning

I don't think this could be maternity. The waistband of the fitted, tight skirt is set-in (no elastic or anything) and only measures 26". It does look odd with the big boxy fit of the jacket.

Then I'm thinking late 50s, influenced by the sack and trapeze, or possibly early 60s getting into the Jackie Kennedy look, but for a more mature woman.

Thank you, mags. I don't know too much about styles but it was the FEEL of this, somehow, that had me thinking older than 50s.

A thought: maybe I should picture it belted?

Back