1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's suit: 40s??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by donnah, Jan 16, 2011.

1. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Women\'s suit: 40s??

Hello once again everyone! I actually have two garments that I'm hoping for help with. I'll start two threads, however, as I think it's too many photos for just one.

Firstly, I'm hoping you may be able to help me with this Lord & Taylor suit. I just can't decide on a date for it. The boxy cut of the jacket is really throwing me off. And the fitted skirt has a longer length. The skirt is lined in a black linen-like material. The buttons are a painted metal. Also, any ideas on the fabric type?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This suit looks 50s to me more than 40s, what is the waistband on the skirt like? The reason I'm asking is that it almost looks like it might have been a maternity suit, with the way the jacket looks loose on the bottom.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I immediately thought maternity too, Mary Jane! Either that or plus size in need of more pinning

4. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

I don't think this could be maternity. The waistband of the fitted, tight skirt is set-in (no elastic or anything) and only measures 26". It does look odd with the big boxy fit of the jacket.

5. MagsRags

Then I'm thinking late 50s, influenced by the sack and trapeze, or possibly early 60s getting into the Jackie Kennedy look, but for a more mature woman.

6. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Thank you, mags. I don't know too much about styles but it was the FEEL of this, somehow, that had me thinking older than 50s.

A thought: maybe I should picture it belted?

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Mh... I can't get a 40s vibe from this. Without the label, which clearly looks older, I'd have thought it was much newer.

Karin

8. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

The styling is definitely an enigma. But the suit is definitely old.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think it's throwing people off because its matronly ala Jane Marpole in the late 1950s... I assume its a fairly large size as well?

10. MagsRags

waist is just 26", Jonathan.

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's right around 1960 . There are similar suits in the Sear's Everyday Book.