1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wooden platforms, dating and any info please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, May 10, 2019.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found these shoes at an estate sale today and love them. I tried to search for similar shoes with no luck and am wondering if anyone can tell me anything about them.

I'm thinking maybe wartime because of the use of wood and fabric ties (ribbons, strips? not sure what to call them) but am totally clueless. They fit me so I would upload a pic of them on my feet but I don't know how to put them on.. They look as though the ties should pass through all three of the holes in the soles but I have no idea how to wrap them after that.

I'd love any help with these, thanks in advance!

20190510_162840.jpg 20190510_162913.jpg 20190510_162859.jpg 20190510_162931.jpg

2. I may be wrong, but with that type of sole rubber(?) I see 1970s.
    Unless they were resoled
    Fun!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, the crepe rubber soles make me think 1970s. Not sure if that type of sole was used on women's shoes prior. Jonathan will probably know. the ribbon ties also look very 1970s to me, but they could have been replaced. The carved wood does resemble the shoes from the 1940s made in Asia.

Pretty cool.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  4. Robin of Frocksley

Thank you both! I know nothing about cobbling but the soles look original to my eye. Will post a pic once I tie them on. Looking forward to hearing more, thanks again!

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If they were wartime 40s they would have to be French as they were the only nation doing very stylish clogs at the time, but these look more 70s to me -- the colourful straps, the unusual holes to thread the straps through, the varnished red wood... If they were 40s I would expect the straps to be nailed to the wood sides, the wood itself painted, and the straps would be less colourful. Also I don't think I have ever seen an insole on a pair of clogs from the 40s, although I have seen crepe rubber treads. I think you wear them with the straps crossing over the ball, the instep, then crossed behind the heel and tied in front of the ankle. That would be the best arrangement to keep them on. These are probably made in Brazil and are early 70s.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  6. Robin of Frocksley

Thank you, Jonathan!!