1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool jacket - help date please =)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TylulaVintage, Nov 24, 2011.

1. TylulaVintage

TylulaVintage Registered Guest

Found this awesome wool coat today but I am not sure when it is from.
    The buttons are bakelite and the zipper says HASH
    (the tag is just a bunch of thread now)
    I'm also wondering if this is a man's or a woman's? It looks to be a men's but the back is slightly gathered in the middle which makes me think woman's....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I vote men's jacket 1940s.

3. TylulaVintage

Thanks Nicole - armed with '1940's' I did some research and I think it;s alled a 49er jacket =)

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

No, not technically a 49er, as they were made by Pendleton and buttoned up the front. You can see lots of 49ers in these old ads:

http://thevintagetraveler.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/ad-campaign-pendleton-1950s/

In the late 40s and into the 50s, wool plaid were very popular, and this is a good example of the types of jackets worn for winter leisure activities. It could be either a man's or a woman's as these were made for both.

Lizzie

5. TylulaVintage

Oh, ok - I thought that was just the style name - thanks for clearing that up =)

6. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you for asking this question Tylula, as I have a question also (love those Pendelton ads Lizzie).

Can the term "49er style" or something similar be used? Or is that a no-no?

It's in regard to this Kerrybrooke jacket specifically ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

7. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

As a buyer who needs to be restrained from buying 49-er-esque jackets in every colour ;)... I know I would like it if your Kerrybrook jacket had 49er in its keywords or descriptions somewhere, so I could find it when the need for a blue & tan one arose :) The styles are so alike between jackets like that (several brands made them) and the Pendleton standard: straight short somewhat boxy wool jackets in plaids, two big pockets in front, large shell-like buttons, and long cuffed sleeves.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a jacket like Tylula's turn up in a search for "49er", it would stand out as not quite like the Pendleton or Kerrybrooke examples.

Jen

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you for your response Jen. I would like to show the similarities, but without misleading or keyword spamming, and was not sure if those who collect 49er's are strict about that.

I'll put it in the keywords as you've suggested but will be sure to tiptoe carefully. ;)