1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wool knit/sweater experts? What do you call this knit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Patentleathershoes

    Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

    This is a wool knit. What i found unusual is that it looks like one of those christmas ornaments that has "frost" on it...its a clear green - spearmint perhaps - but has the white running through it that i thought was unusual

    It probably is not...i just don't know if there is a specific name..



  2. Patentleathershoes

    Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

    oh..by the way R&K Knits..i am pretty sure its 60s...
  3. bartondoll

    bartondoll Guest

    Is it a cotton yarn Chris?

    A lot of the yarns in the late 60s/70s were varigated in colour and had
    knubs to the yarn. Most of the ones I saw were a cotton yarn, but
    this could be an acrylic/cotton blend too.

  4. Patentleathershoes

    Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

    Doesn't feel like cotton to me at all...so it would have to be a blend. The puzzling thing is that it is not variegated like the vintage knitting yarns i have seen, as the white is a completely different texture from the green - like if you sprinkled coarse sugar on a gum drop. The white feels much softer - more cottony perhaps, but the rest has a stiffer hand more consistent with an acrylic perhaps.??

    So blend? The edges feel more like a wool knit suit that i also have, but maybe some acrylic in it is the answer?

    i dunno
  5. marlyandmorry

    marlyandmorry Registered Guest


    I remember this knit from the 70's and I betcha it does have some acrylic in it!!!!

    Sorry no specific name for the knit comes to mind but they often made sweater and skirt sets out of this...


Share This Page