Wool knit/sweater experts? What do you call this knit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

This is a wool knit. What i found unusual is that it looks like one of those christmas ornaments that has "frost" on it...its a clear green - spearmint perhaps - but has the white running through it that i thought was unusual

It probably is not...i just don't know if there is a specific name..

[​IMG]

TIA,

Chris

2. Patentleathershoes

oh..by the way R&K Knits..i am pretty sure its 60s...

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Is it a cotton yarn Chris?

A lot of the yarns in the late 60s/70s were varigated in colour and had
    knubs to the yarn. Most of the ones I saw were a cotton yarn, but
    this could be an acrylic/cotton blend too.

Sue

4. Patentleathershoes

Doesn't feel like cotton to me at all...so it would have to be a blend. The puzzling thing is that it is not variegated like the vintage knitting yarns i have seen, as the white is a completely different texture from the green - like if you sprinkled coarse sugar on a gum drop. The white feels much softer - more cottony perhaps, but the rest has a stiffer hand more consistent with an acrylic perhaps.??

So blend? The edges feel more like a wool knit suit that i also have, but maybe some acrylic in it is the answer?

i dunno

5. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

Chris

I remember this knit from the 70's and I betcha it does have some acrylic in it!!!!

Sorry no specific name for the knit comes to mind but they often made sweater and skirt sets out of this...

Nanc