1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth, 50 Grosvenor Street Ball Gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Diana Wilkins, Nov 3, 2015.

?

does any one have knowledge of this dress - found last week in Charity store in New Zealand

1. date

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. place

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Diana Wilkins

Diana Wilkins Registered Guest

Hi there,
    Worth , 50 Grosvenor Street.
    I have just found your website and hoping that someone can date and maybe give me some information on this beautiful gown I have just purchased in New Zealand. It has 6 petticoats, looks hand stitched and has label 'Worth 50 Grosvenor Street' i would dearly love to steam it but terrified i might burn it appreciated any feedback
    thanks Diana

photo[3].JPG
    -1.jpg

-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
    INVINTAGEV likes this.
  2. Hi Diana, and welcome to the forums.

Can you please show a clear photo of all labels.

I've also moved this thread to the Q&A forum. If you'd like to read this thread it contains lots of hints on the sort of information that can help you - for example, can you tell us what sort of openings it has eg, centre back metal zipper.

You might also like to compare your label to the one in the Label Resource for the House of Worth.

Thank you - and well done on a fabulous find! My local op shops never have treasures like yours.

Diana Wilkins likes this.
  3. Diana Wilkins

Thank you Nicole, I shall photograph the label and describe the openings tomorrow - I am very new to forums so still finding my way around
    Have a wonderful evening Diana

4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh Diana- that gown is gorgeous! .I Cant wait to see the label, and I am hoping it turns out to be the best op shop score ever. :)

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Drooling...

7. Diana Wilkins

Hi there, so for delay trying to get over a horrible cold/flu... I have attached photo of the label, which i see is already in your catalogue of labels.
    It has 2 zippers, both pink and metal. The outer zipper is from the lower back to shoulder and has a metal hook and eye to close.
    Inside has a further zipper from lower back to waist only. I can now see that it is a combination of machine and hand sewn.
    Any suggestions on cleaning and steaming to get the wrinkles out?
    I am guessing from the study info i have found that the dress was made in London in the mid 50's... i wonder how on earth it ended up in our little town Nelson, New Zealand
    thank you Diana

Attached Files:

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Diana,
    The Museum of the City of New York has an online exhibit of Worth designs. Go to MCNY.org.
    You'll find a lot of info about Worth and a little about the London workrooms.
    There are some inside details that you can compare to your dress which is lovely and it would fit Liza I'm sure!

9. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Swoon and faint. So lovely.

10. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh I wish your dress could talk! I am guessing a socialite or wife of a diplomat or something like that owed the gown originally in the 50's, or could someone famous has brought it over when the Lord of the Rings films were being filmed in new Zealand and not wanted to take it back home?
    If only we knew, it's such an a amazing find :)