1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth listing? 20s Cloche in poorish condition. Material?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by amandainvermont, Dec 26, 2007.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I was thinking of listing this as a study piece, as the silk on the brim is shattering and the flower/leaf has many flaws. I can not pull from my brain the name of the material it is made of - "straw" doesn't work. Any comments? Thanks. (I popped it on the mannequin and she is not wearing a wig ... so it doesn't sit that low)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I'd think it is worth listing. It's a great design and I'm sure it would be of value to a hat designer.

Lizzie

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, it's a lovely design and surely has interest as a study piece...

I don't knpw about the pleated material, but the crown of the hat does look like a finely woven straw to me--are you sure it isn't? I've had some woven straw hats that were almost fabric-like. One was from the 60s and one from the early 50s, but I remember learning that the Italian village/region renowned for its woven straw had been doing it since forever...

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yes it is straw... oh ... maybe raffia is the word I was looking for? Would that be correct?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't believe it is raffia, but is a soft woven straw, I believe this straw was usually made in Italy and is of very fine quality, as it generally was quite pliable. I unfortunately, cannot think of its correct name.

6. avamac

avamac Alumni

from an online encyclopedia....leghorn is a place in Italy...

leg·horn (lghôrn, -rn)
    n.
    a. The dried and bleached straw of an Italian variety of wheat.
    b. A plaited fabric made from this straw.
    c. A hat made from this fabric.

7. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

It looks like a very fine Milan braid. I think it would be a beautiful piece for display. Pretty!

Melody