1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would love some help with label and dress, thanks!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tabbyannabel, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

Hi everyone!

Wondering if anyone could help with this label and age of dress. Is this a true Louis Ferard? I don't quite understand what the wording means regarding "reproduced".

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks. :) 0001EJ.jpeg 0001JT.jpeg

2. You can see the Label Resource entry on Louis Feraud here.

My understanding is that "reproduction" is similar "adaptation", ie a licenced copy of the design made by a local business. So it's the same design, but not made by the couturier's atelier - and hence not valued as highly.

Yours looks quite early - early to mid 1960s? I wonder if it originally had a removable white collar. Any signs of that Tabbyannabel?

3. Tabbyannabel

Thanks Nicole.
    I did look at the label resource first but noticed there were none like my label so that got me wondering.

It does not look like anything is missing, no white collar. :)

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Very interesting piece, as well as being very cute! I didn't know that the David Crystal company did licensed reproduction's of other designer's items. That is great information. Nicole is correct--this would be a Feraud design, but made in this country by David Crystal under license.

5. Tabbyannabel

So as a reproduced piece would it be altered somehow or use cheaper materials? :)

6. I imagine it would be very similar to the original: a designer would not sell the right to copy their work unless the standard was comparative.

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree, and the David Crystal company's work from this time period was very nice. The work might not be as exacting as the original, but overall I imagine the quality would have to meet the designer's approval before the license was granted. And the design would be the same, because it's a reproduction. I would assume, but maybe I'm not correct, that the reproduction would be more of a mass-produced item when made by a company here in the U.S.