1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would someone explain these buttons/buckles to me?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Jan 21, 2008.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I have a really nice quality Harvé Benard suit from the 60s, and it has these heavy golden buttons with a laughing man's face:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there is the belt buckle:

[​IMG]

Is this just quirky, or is there some narrative I'm missing?

2. Hi Maggie,

Cute outfit and as always it looks great on you!

The buttons look like man in the moon to me and the buckle look like the North wind. Does that make any sense?

3. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

looks like man in the moon buttons

Dutch says Barfing Bacchus on the belt

4. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I was going to say mardi gras myself. I love the color!

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

they sure look like Bacchus buttons to me, and i would imagine those dingly-bally things are supposed to be representative of grapes.

the other buttons look man in the moon-ish, and i don't get the correlation. i will say that back when i worked a high end consignment boutique, that our "good" (Chanel, Escada, etc) buttons were stolen ALL the time. We also had SOME consignors try to re-sell low-end suits with high end buttons (hmm...wonder how THAT happened) to try to get higher prices. Needless to say, they were turned away.

POINT BEING, maybe you have a suit that someone took original (jacket) buttons off of, and swapped for something else... :wacko:

maybe

THE SUIT is divine, by the way!!!:wub:

6. denisebrain

Oh good! I thought I saw Richard Nixon in the buttons, and was hoping I was wrong! :) Barfing Bacchus is brilliant!

Candy, that really is a perfect explanation...thank you!

7. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Hey, havent you ever been "Drunk on the Moon"?? Tom Waites

Mary may be onto something, maybe they were replaced.

Great suit with interesting buttons. A conversation piece!

8. denisebrain

Mary, I absolutely know that these were original to the suit, by the way they are sewn and the lineage...I got this from the original owner.

Yow, I can't imagine anyone wanting to add these to the suit; even though they are fabulously interesting, they are odd. So interesting that someone could possibly do that!

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

:hysterical:

If they're original to the suit, I think Candy's explanation makes a lot of sense (though I'm not sure of the connection between the pink color and celestial/weather imagery?)

Either way, I don't think they're odd at all--I think they take the suit from polished 'n pretty to simply divine (the placement and gold color just pops against the pink!), and qualify as those "good" buttons that Mary was talking about as theft-prone...

10. What an interesting twist~ A little edgy on a conservative piece- my favorite kind of look!

11. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Now that your mention it.. I see the north winds

12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

did a little research and wonder if these may be based on the Greek mythological figures of Astraeus and his four sons, the four winds ("Winds"): Boreas, Notus, Eurus, and Zephyrus.

Astraeus & sons on Wikapedia

13. denisebrain

So these barfing Bacchuses (Bacchusi?) could be the 4 winds?

I still don't get the pale pink fine wool and the buttons/buckles cosmos! There is no explanation that makes sense, except...

:icon_pugsrule: