1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be called a shrug?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gaildavid, May 4, 2005.

  1. gaildavid

    gaildavid VFG Member

    I will be listing this eyelet lace mini top tomorrow and I do not know if I can technically call it a shrug. It may have been part of a suit...I am not sure. But I want the right keyword. I don't know if I should call it a bolero, shurg, or cropped top......:wacko:


    Thank you....Gail
  2. elsewhere

    elsewhere Guest

    Good question! I have a lace one like this. I've been calling it a bolero top... but that's probably not accurate:wacko:

    Your's is cuter than mine, though
  3. gaildavid

    gaildavid VFG Member

    Thanks for the compliment. :)

    I am hoping someone can now help us both out. :bouncing:

  4. artizania

    artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

    I tend to think of shrugs as being a knitwear type item, not lace. Personally I'd go for 'cropped top' - maybe do an image with nothing underneath but with jeans or a skirt - showing bare midriff?
  5. gaildavid

    gaildavid VFG Member

    There is no lining on the top, so it would really be "peekaboo", too. ;)

  6. Patentleathershoes

    Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

    i always think of shrugs without buttons. maybe a bolero top?
  7. Laura

    Laura Alumni

    I would call it a cropped jacket or a bolero jacket.

    In my mind, shrugs are knit and very fitted around the shoulder/arm area. They don't close in the front. <a href="http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/mar99_knit.html">Here's an example.</A>

  8. gaildavid

    gaildavid VFG Member

    Thanks for the information, Laura. That is the way I pictured shurgs until I did a search on ebay...they are all over the map with style.....with or without buttons, ect. So I thought I would get the real scoop by asking here.:clapping:

    I listed it with Crop, Bolero and Midriff in the title......

    Thanks everyone for the input....

  9. pastperfect2

    pastperfect2 Alumni +

    And now joining a program already in progress..........

    Shrug - don't meet at center font, usually knit or very close fitting and sort of 'brief'. Often just covers the shoulders.

    Bolero - a short waistlength or less jacket like a matador's that usually has curved front and just meets at CF with either no closure or a frogs or hook closure that lets the edges just butt together.

    Crop Top - any short blouse that skims the waist or above. Would close CF or CB

  10. "Pop top" was the first name that came to mind.
  11. Patentleathershoes

    Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

    I never heard that one Bonnie.

    Unless you mean a top that pops up...

Share This Page