1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this dress be from the 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by donnah, Oct 24, 2010.

1. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

I'm hoping to confirm that this dress is from the 1940's. It has both a side metal zip (WIL ZIP pull) and a short center back metal zip (TOBY pull). It feels like a rayon crepe. Luckily, all the rhinestones are present! No labels or tags whatsoever. I love how the peplum is longer in back than in front. It's in amazing condition.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Donnah,

I agree that your dress is from the '40's. It appears to be very sheer so would have been worn with an opaque black slip.

Linn

3. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Yes, it will definitely need a slip. Thanks for your help!

4. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

agree it's 40s, and really lovely!

5. Agree with 40's also. Very pretty!!

6. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I agree with post war 40s but it looks like it has been shortened. Check to see if you can let the hem back down, as the proportions look a bit off right now. The peplum should be balanced with a longer skirt. And if you can let the hem down, be sure to use a press cloth, as this fabric will iron shine in a heartbeat!

7. I agree with 40's, and that it has been shortened. Very pretty.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very pretty 40s dress, it appears to be a rayon chiffon, a bit rougher to the touch than a silk chiffon would be. It looks like that hem will come down...fingers crossed for you!

9. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Thanks everyone! I'll have a close look at the hem and see what I can do. What would be the proper length?

And poppy, I do believe you are right about it being rayon chiffon. You've described it perfectly.

10. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Look at the existing hem and see if there is a trace of the oldline, where the hem was originally folded and pressed. You can find it on most fabrics.

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

As Jody has suggested this dress is post WW11 and probably c1947. The peplum was a a very big trend and was played about with to create interest. This dress has cap sleeves which were also a feature. The fabric looks like a sheer rayon crepe. Here is a pattern that people may have seen which shows the correct dress length;

http://tinyurl.com/3y8yy3k