1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you call this a novelty print or ??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Teresas Treasures, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Teresas Treasures

Teresas Treasures Registered Guest

Silk, late 50's/early 60's Sleeveless Sheath but is it a novelty print? Its like windows and brcks and flowers.. can't think of what else I can call it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I think you could call it a novelty print. It is very artsy...perfect for a day out at a museum!

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Looks novelty to me, too!

The colorway is just lovely; ditto the watercolor effect...

4. Very pretty! I vote for novelty print too.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

wow, that is a REALLY pretty print!

I would consider that a late 50s/early 60s version of novelty print, yep. typically, i think 40s or 30s when i hear novelty, but this certainly is indicative of the era, and the print does have recognizable forms of trees and arches and bricks

maybe that's a good question, what DOES qualify a print to be a novelty print??

6. Teresas Treasures

Teresas Treasures Registered Guest

that is why I asked because I think of novelty prints as something that isn't all over. What does qualify a print as "novelty"?

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree it's difficult to ascertain just what a "novelty print" is.... Great topic for discussion!

I would call your lovely print a "watercolor novelty print." I think the term watercolor evokes the sort of softness and abstractness of your print. Even though there are recognizable elements, it's not as defined, for example, as dancing elephants or flamenco dancers with umbrellas would be....

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

One element I think of is in a novelty print is that it has a figural vs abstract or geometric pattern--ie people, animals, places, objects--usually with a whimsical or thematic treatment (or both!)

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

although i must say, before i read this thread, typically i would have described that print as an abstract 60's print with trees, arches and bricks...