1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you categorize this as a negligee, or gown???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Merchant, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I believe this was intended as lounge wear, or was it?

label: Saks-Fifth Avenue
    bias cut.

shocking pink (although it looks more orchid in my photos...)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

btw, that black "spot" is a hole in my mannequin's backside, not a flaw...:oops:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you think??

2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

WOW! I would say lounging gown~

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. joules

joules VFG Member

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

it may have been negligee/loungewear originally but with a nice nude slip that would make a fantastic dress.

5. The Vintage Merchant

heh heh heh...exactly! glad to see an answer of each right off!

i can totally see this being worn as a gown, but wonder if it's original intention was for late night entertaining at home....

I'm sure I've seen movies where the lead actress was gliding around in a similar style...I just can't think which ones.

6. The Vintage Merchant

cross posted w/you Pink ~ that's the direction I'm thinking, as well.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

WOW! 200" sweep. That is one beautiful gown!

8. The Vintage Merchant

so Barbara, I know you specialize in vintage of this era more than I do, could this have been designed to wear as a gown (evening) rather than as home/loungewear??

and btw, thanks to all of you for your very kind words! xoxo

9. The Vintage Merchant

oop, editing my sweep measurement...that's from another 1930s gown we just measured yesterday...got them mixed up....this one is only 80"...oops...

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hello,

This gown, to me, leans more to the home lounging arena...but definitely not a nightgown or for sleeping or basic house wear...this is for one very special occasion! The general cut looks very much like other home gowns I have seen. Also the fine picot edging on the hems was a hallmark for lounging attire, and the overall sheerness and delicate fabric of it lead me to think lounging attire. Even with an under slip (which it undoubtedly had) it seems too risque' for public wearing (in my opinion). I can see a wealthy woman or girlfriend of a wealthy man wearing this as she waits for his arrival home. I might date it to mid to late 1940's to very early 1950's. Of course, I can see this worn today (have we no shame?) by a young woman for an evening gown. As Joe E. Brown might say........Zowie!

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a beautiful color! Who could get any sleep wearing this one!:hysterical:

It looks to me like it may been a negligee set and the robe is no longer with it!

12. The Vintage Merchant

it really is a shocking pink...which had me thinking this might date to the very late 1930s early 1940s??? definitely earlier than 1950s ~

my photos turned out a bit on the purpley-pink end of the spectrum...it is, like, BRILLIANT pink :) we tried natural light, shadowed light, sunlight, florescent, incandescent...ugh...so frustrating..

this has a twin set of tiny covered buttons in the front ~ one is naked, though...i think it would be a knock out with some rhinestone dazzlers.

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

I agree it looks very 1930s to 40s in its line, no doubt about it. I thought so too at first, but the label and size tag looked more post WWII to me, and the little cap sleeves and bust treatment was popular for lingerie after the war for a few years. So I leaned to post WWII. Perhaps a lingerie authority will chime in. I am over the moon for that gown!