1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you please assist me with fabric and print type on this 20s dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jun 18, 2011.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello ladies and gents. I think this is an early 20s dress maybe 1923 or 1924.

I also think this is a silk with a metallic threaded floral design but I am really not sure if that is what it is or if there is a name for the print type.

Can you please verify whether I am correct and if I am not can you please provide me with the correct information?

Thank you all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suelangley

suelangley Alumni

a very pretty print - it looks like it a silver metallic lame' (la-may) to me; what is the closure? snaps? left side? any snaps on top at the left shoulder? on your mannequin, the sleeves look slightly capped?

3. peaceful vintage

Hi Suelangley, The left shoulder has snaps, the left side has snaps, and the drop waist has snaps that are also on the left side. I should have posted that. Sorry about that. Thanks for asking though and thank you for your information.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That certainly does look like a silk lame deco style print. The armholes appear a bit deep - I bet there was a co-ordinating slip at one time.

Hollis

5. peaceful vintage

Hi Hollis, Thank you so much. I was thinking the armpits were deep too. I had wondered if a collar insert with sleeves or a shirt went in there. A coordinated slip would make more sense and was probably a lovely match.

6. What are the snaps like? Could you show us an image of the seams and hem?

You won't like this but I think you have an '80s dress influenced by '20s style!

The reason I think this is the fabric - very '80s in style - and the hip sash, which is very low. The '20s ones sit on the hips, the '80s ones sit lower, almost around the bum. They were also longer than the '20s ones - like yours - and the armholes were deeper. I have an '80s dress very much like this in style.

Nicole

7. peaceful vintage

Nicole, To be honest I would rather me find out the dress was not what I thought before selling it than after even if it was not what I wanted it to be. I appreciate you telling me and going the extra mile to help.
    There were some labels in the dress at the waist. I don't know if this is a known designer. The hemline is raw so there is no stitching to show you there. I tried to get some photos of the snaps. They are on the left shoulder and left side.
    I do hope you respond soon now though because my stomach is in my chest or maybe my heart is in my stomach or something like before you go on a roller coaster.

Here are the photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Thanks for the close ups - they make all the difference in the world! As does the label - sewn in the waist is an old technique, and I can see that the fabric is not '80s now (and neither is the label), it's a metallic brocade, probably silk as you say.

Perhaps what you have is a '20s dress for a very tall lady? If the hem has come down, that explains why it is so long too. I wonder if the sash has come undone and should be ruched to sit higher?

Nicole

9. peaceful vintage

Oh Nicole...thank you for coming back to reply so soon. I was shakin in my boots for a minute. Woo, but I'm cool now..:icon_coolsnow:

I don't see any evidence that the sash was higher or that the bottom was previously let out.

10. Look closely for removed stitches, especially on the other hip - there are creases in the fabric that suggest it was originally ruched up.

Nicole

11. peaceful vintage

I looked very closely and could not find any little holes anywhere under the sash and at the other side of the sash. It has the ruched look on the snapping side but I can't find any evidence of that on the other side.

Could it be possible that the sash sat higher on someone with larger hips that made it fitted when snapped in that area?

12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a beautiful metallic lame dress and I think most likely for someone with considerable height and once the dress is on the right sized figure the sash will look a lot better.

Thanks for showing us the label and the size ticket as well, these are always important to show as they really help in dating.

13. peaceful vintage

Hi Mary Jane, I appreciate and value your input greatly. Thank you, Caryn

14. suelangley

suelangley Alumni

I agree with Hollis, there probably was a matching slip. It is a lovely example of 20s Art Deco styling! Thanks for sharing.

15. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree that what you have is an "authentic" piece, that it likely had an underslip, and that, as Mary Jane says, would look more to age and style with the right-sized body in it.

And it does look like silk. It's quite stunning!

16. peaceful vintage

Thank you Sue and Anne. I am very pleased I was to acquire it.

When offering this I am stating that I believe the dress was orginally intended for a taller wearer and may have had a color coordinated underslip at one time but this is simply a guess based on the way it sits on my mannequin.

I hope that is appropriate to list and that it will help those looking understand the positioning of the dress.

Thanks again all. I have fallen in love with vintage clothing. :wub:
    Caryn

17. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Good luck with your listing and I can see why you're in love with vintage if you are finding beautiful items like this! The kind of item we all love to run across!

18. peaceful vintage

Thank you Mary Jane. I think we all search for what we love in life and those of us that find something we are really passionate about are very lucky. I am grateful and I really love this forum. :)

19. bycin

bycin Guest

Lovely fabric on that!

20. peaceful vintage

Thank you Bycin. I am happy to have found it.

Can anyone please tell me if having the designer label in this makes it any more valuable? How about the fabric?

Caryn