1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woven Wool Skirt & Fringed Shawl...Update - Photos Added

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by thevintagebungalow, Apr 23, 2009.

1. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I unearthed this in a box of crap down in a basement at an estate sale. I've sent it off to the cleaners but wanted to verify the date so I took quick shots. This sale really had me confused because everything was boxed together and mixed up. It is a very pretty set. The stripes are shot with metallic threads. Do you think mid 50s?? Also, does it display well with the top I'm using?? I reminds me of something that might have been worn on holiday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just realized I forgot to shoot a pic of the label :wacko:. I'll add it as soon as I pick it up from the cleaners.

Ok, here is a close-up of the fabric, the label and the side metal zipper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

In the 40's early 50's the peasant thing was in this was worn with a pair of capezio ballet shoes. Perfect blouse.

-CHris

3. thevintagebungalow

4. Lovely outfit! I have a similar skirt that was hand loomed somewhere here in Quebec. They remind me of my childhood.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I may be completely wrong about this but I think it's later. Maybe you should wait until you can look at the label to decide. I think it's early to mid-70's when the ethnic and "peasant" look was poplular. The metallic threads and the colors in the skirt make me think that - along with the dirndl cut.

Linn

6. thevintagebungalow

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I know it looks more 70s - that was my first reacion too, but I ran across an article in Vogue from 1944 or 1945 a while back about hand loomed skirts and shawls from California - this looks exactly like what they were showing. I know its in one of mags but which one I don't know.

8. thevintagebungalow

9. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

Yep..... Great score. Love the look. I have two skirts 1940's same shape. Easy to get confused.

-chris

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Great skirt and shawl! Every ad I found for Copeland of California was from the 1950s. One 1959 article mentioned:

"Marjorie Sracy is a well known artist and designer, having spent many years with leading designers such as Irene Bury Ltd., Copeland of California...

11. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Beautiful set; I'd have said 70s too, but with the info from th experts, it's apparent that the 70s look was a throwback style.

Love it--this is the style I would've worn back in the 70s myself.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If the gold thread is lurex then it has to be post 1953 (I think that was the year lurex was introduced if I remember correctly) The ones in the 1944/45 article didn't have gold threads in them.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The border/shawl colors are so pretty!

I know it's hard to believe that we baby boomers didn't invent the hippie peasant look in the 70s! But I have a 50s full skirt black wool dirndl with silver metallic border designs from "madawaska weavers" (Canadian), and the 1946 picture below, of my mother in an outfit JUST like the one you assembled above:

[​IMG]

14. thevintagebungalow

15. That picture really is awesome!

I thought the skirt I had was made in Quebec, but when I saw "madawaska weavers" it rang a bell and sure enough, mine is the same maker.

[​IMG]

16. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's the label, Deborah!

Here's an excerpt from my description of the skirt (I googled "madawaska weavers" a bit, and found that they still participate in Canadian & New England cultural/crafts fairs, and have earlier items in area museums):

Labeled "Fait A La Main; 100% Wool; Madawaska Weavers" (“fait a la main” translates as “made by hand”), it hails from St Leonard, New Brunswick in Canada, where hand-woven textiles traditional to Acadian culture there evolved into a cottage industry in the late 19th century.

17. :USETHUMBUP: Thanks, Carrie - ya done did me homework for me. Now to get the broken zipper replaced...

18. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Another vote for 50s. I had a lovely wool capelet with that Copeland label which was definitely 50s.

sarah-jane