1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrinkles in Leather. Any Clues?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Leisa, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I just got a question from a buyer about the creases & wrinkles in my Members Only Leather jackets & how to get them out.

I told her she may be able to steam them out in the bathroom without harming the leather or she could also ask a dry cleaner what they think. I also told her I thought they'd go away with wear & by hanging in a closet.

I did my best in answering her, but do any of you have any ideas or cures to do that? If so - I'd love to send them to her.

Thanks!
    leisa

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I might not really want to steer towards directly applying steam to leather. leather reacts so much different to moisture than fabric does and it would have to be more indirect. If the creases were from storage, etc, I would just give it time. Hang it somewhere, and condition it with leather conditioners. Also hang it and stuff something inside the area to give it shape to retrain it to. It is also going to react to your body heat and that may help in a small way work it out by wearing it.

In leather, also, different fat rolls, etc are naturally occuring, but i doubt if you would see it in a members only jacket. it would have to be an item with a higher top grain cut of leather that is left more natural. I have always thought of members only jackets as nylon. I have never seen a leather version

Do you have a picture? it is hard to really say without seeing it.

3. Here's some useful info from a leather coat site:

"A wrinkled garment can be hung in the bathroom while you shower. If the wrinkles don't steam out by themselves, gently iron the garment at a warm setting after layering clean brown paper between the iron and the leather. Store your leather garment in a well-ventilated area and cover with a cloth to keep it dust free. Avoid storing your leather garment in plastic. Leather is porous and it needs to "breathe"."

Source:
    MPS Leather
    http://www.leathercoatsandjackets.com/shop/customer/pages.php?pageid=1

4. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

purrrfect! Thanks Linda!

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

After ironing, I'd work in a good leather conditioning cream, not oil of any type, or glycerine saddle soap to keep the leather supple and those wrinkles at bay.

6. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

true that, rita. I can suggest it if I hear from her again.

Thanks!

leisa