1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong listing on etsy - should I alert the seller?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I once asked on this forum on how to name this dress when selling it, and more selling advice. Well, it didn't go on etsy in the end, but I put it on that Swiss auction site in the carnival costume category, and it sold for a fair enough price within a few days.

I was browsing etsy today, and found an exactly similar dress, from a seller in the US, who advertises it as 1950s and asks a whopping $138 for it. She shows the TD4 by Eletra label, but not the more papery label underneath, that has the info on care, material, size etc. (well, maybe that label isn't there any more, who knows). Anyway, I do think it incredible, seeing that 80s dress listed as something much earlier and at such a high price. What would you do in such a case? Contact the seller? Alert etsy? Let it pass?

Karin

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Karin, if it were me, I'd contact her and tactfully explain that you had the same dress and put it out for age verification to others, and that you found it was from the 80s. You could give her a very brief "short-form" history of content and care labels, if you think she's done this by accident. I've found that some sellers really don't know and will happily accept your assistance, and others do know and don't care, and will get nasty. Which tells you quite enough about them!

I had a TD4 dress that I bought in an antique mall, and it was being sold as 60s! So, even where you think a seller would know what it was, they didn't. (And I'm sure it was an honest mistake, as most of this longtime seller's items were properly dated.)

It really bothers me when this happens, so I'm generally inclined to write to a seller when I stumble across such situations.

3. I think Anne is very wise. So long as you're tactful, I think you'd be doing her a huge favour. She may not realise. Keep your eye on the listing and see what her reaction is. :)

4. joules

joules VFG Member

You could flag the item, though it likely won't result in any action, unfortunately.

If you decide to contact the seller, you might link to a search on Etsy of other dresses by this maker, also listed on Etsy, that are dated more or less correctly. (There are a few currently listed.) Then, the seller could clearly see, that they are off with their dating.

5. Midge

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to contact the seller, and I will also look for some more correctly dated TD4s on etsy to show. I remember that I found a few others too when I was about to list mine.

Karin

6. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i'm glad you've decided to contact her. you might also point out that if it were from the 50s, the zipper would be made of metal, not plastic. may as well get a bit of general vintage education out to her that will help her with other things too :)

7. Midge

I have already contacted her and got a very nice reply. She has changed the description to 1950s inspired. Still the same price... I wonder if she'll be able to sell it at that though... I had no luck on etsy for $ 25 (ok, shipping to the US would have been quite expensive, but still...) and finally sold it for around $20 here in Switzerland. Well, still good for something I picked up for $1 :eureka:.

Karin

8. frchgrl

frchgrl Registered Guest

As a seller of vintage clothing but NOT a vintage clothing expert (but learning, that's why I'm here) I would more than appreciate being advised and educated about items. It's unfortunately too easy to find wrong information on the net as well.