1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

year please on the glass beaded dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by retro_threadz, Dec 28, 2008.

1. retro_threadz

retro_threadz Registered Guest

could someone please help me with the year on this dress the beads are glass. thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. With those shoulders I'm thinking 1980s...the labelling looks very modern though, it could be more recently.

Love those cleaning instructions: "do not wash, do not dry clean, professional spot clean only". Bad news if you're normal and sweat.

Nicole

3. retro_threadz

Nicole , thank you for your help

4. retro_threadz

I thought it was older, it has a very long zipper in back & hook closure at neckline

[​IMG]

5. That doesn't necessarily mean much I'm afraid: mainly modern dresses are still made that way, especially from India (which seems to use older techniques on some styles).

The give away for me is the labelling: dry clean tags came in during the 1970s but it was only fairly recently that they got as detailed as yours, also the care label looks like it's printed plastic (as opposed to fabric or paper). I think those started being made during the 1980s.

There's really only one era that made big shouldered or drop shoulder beaded dresses though: does it have shoulder pads? That's another '80s indicator. Mind you, they could have been removed, many were when the styles went out in the '90s.

Nicole

Nicole

6. retro_threadz

Thanks again Nicole, damn some garments get me so discouraged with dating. I thought since these were glass & I swear I remember reading how the glass beads oxidized? that is was way older... ugh I love what I do & I love everything about vintage but its hard as hell to date. You really are well educated , thanks again

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

another vote for 80's. those shoulders, esp speak volumes

8. retro_threadz

thanks Mary & Nicole

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. I love dating things :)

Even when I get it wrong and someone else corrects me - that's what I love about this place. Every little vintage item can teach you something and there are so many knowledgeable people here....never be afraid to ask, I say :)

Nicole

11. retro_threadz

Nicole thank you so much

12. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Don't worry, you aren't the first to confuse these!

I agree with 80s. There were alot of these imported in the 80s. They weren't cheap, I remember them at good department stores, they were silk chiffon with glass beads and were often straight or drop waisted like the 20s. But the Made in India label, the back zip and the shoulder pads are the indicators of newer manufacture.

1920s beaded chiffon dresses will not have a zipper at all, if they have any closure it will be snaps at the side. If they have an import label, it will be Made in France. And of course, no shoulder pads.

Hollis

13. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Hollis is right. Those beaded dresses were very expensive in their day. we sold some when I was head of alterations for a salon on Newbury St. in Boston in the late 80s - mid 90s. They got between $500 and $700 for heavily beaded silk, dresses. I think the beading on ours tended to be more intricate but they were definately made in India. I remember there were different levels of quality but none were cheap.

Melody