1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow Mellow Necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Aug 22, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

I bought this necklace awhile ago and assume it's plastic/plastic coated beads.

Their seem to be differing colours of the beads and a kind of luminance even a slight translucency about them (faux pearl but yellow i guess!). Just wondered if there's a term for this type of finish/necklace and if I'm right re the plastic ie is there another material it could be?

I know the necklace isn't anything special, but I'm just curious!

Any thoughts?

Sarah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

If the beads are plastic they are called "Moonglow" and are often Lucite. If they are glass they are called "Faux Moonstone." Glass is heavier and colder than plastic. If you tap it with your teeth is makes a different sound. Find something that you know is either glass or plastic to compare.

Linn

4. awaywiffairies

Karin, it sure looks 60s....well I thought so as photographed it accessorised it with a 60s dress, so I hope so!

Linn, thankyou so much, that's exactly the info I was after...I will go and find something to compare and tap away. :USETHUMBUP:

I :wub: this site and everyone's so nice and friendly!

Sarah

5. awaywiffairies

Okie dokie, from my little 'tests' I can say:

1. The necklace is comparatively light in weight
    2. Teeth test - the beads have a dull tap against the sharper chink of a glass bead I know is glass and the same dull tap as a pair of lucite earrings I suddenly remembered I had.
    3. The beads are warm compared to the coldness of the glass beads & warm as the earrings.
    4. Looks like the little amber beads are the same
    5. There's a kind of semi transparency about them or maybe that's a trick of the eye due to the 'moonglow' (love that description).

So, am I safe to say that this is 60s lucite moonglow necklace?

Sarah

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Sarah -

It's probably '50's.

Linn

7. awaywiffairies

Ok cool, thankyou so much Linn, you have been a really great help! That's one more thing I've learnt from this great forum!

Sarah

8. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

Love it!

9. awaywiffairies

I love it too! If it suited me, I'd keep it, but sadly it doesnt, so I'll let an Etsy buyer do it justice! :cats: