1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YKK vintage heavy duty two zippers vs plastic zippers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintage_59, Mar 27, 2023.

1. vintage_59

vintage_59 Registered Guest

Hi! While shopping online I have read many complaints about companies that have switched from metal heavy duty two zippers to using cheaper plastic one way zippers on expensive warm coats. And their customers are very unhappy if the zippers don't work.
    I have two vintage jackets with real heavy duty two way metal YKK zippers. I was thinking of giving them away but now am having second thoughts. The reason is I can't seem to find out if YKK still makes these heavy duty two way zippers, so I am now thinking of removing the metal zippers on these coats so I could use them if a zipper breaks on one of our other winter coats. I would appreciate any information and thoughts you have on this. Thank you

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

A quick search on Etsy for "metal ykk zipper dual 2 way" pulled up a lot of one-way zippers, but also at least a few two ways. It might be easier to buy and stash a couple of unused dual zippers than to dismantle your coats for harvesting purposes.

vintage_59 and dollsntrolls like this.
  3. vintage_59

vintage_59 Registered Guest

Thanks for the idea of looking on Etsy. I am looking now and just learned that zippers come in sizes. Some I am going to find out the size of my zipper and look for it online. Thanks again!

MagsRags likes this.