1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You don't know Jax...or do you?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eel, Jan 30, 2008.

1. eel

eel Registered Guest

You don\'t know Jax...or do you?

Hi all I was happy to find some Jax pencil pants last weekend (too bad they are tiny)
    *note this is not the Jax clothing Co. in Canada

There is little information on Jax that I can find.
    I know there was a boutique, and I know it was one of Marilyn's favorite brands/designer. She had many Jax pieces, even the famous white dress was a Jax. My friend bought a top of Marilyn's at a big auction a couple years ago and it is a Jax.

I also know it is the coolest looking label!
    [​IMG]

sorry my camera is OLD and the pants are black, so that's the best I could do. Feel free to take the label, I don't think I saw it in the resource.

I would love any information on Jax if anyone knows and also would love to see other's pieces.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. I know I've heard references to the label, but It's been a while and could have been another "Jax". I checked the trademark search and couldn't find anything pertaining to this type of print on the label -

So I guess I'll just say howdy :hiya: since I have no useful info for you~

Sorry~ wish I could be more help :)

3. eel

eel Registered Guest

4. Jennifer O.

Jennifer O. Registered Guest

Jax boutique was located in Beverly Hills during the 1950's and 1960's.
    It figured largely in the early career of Rudi Gernreich, as it was there that he met his muse, Peggy Moffit, who was working as a sales girl.

During the 1950's the Gernreich silhouette was lean and long, and skinny pants were part of his look. It is rumoured that the lean black pants worn by Audrey Hepburn were from Jax, and designed by Gernreich.
    There is a photo of Lauren Bacall wearing these pants on page 114 of the book: "California Fashion; from the old west to new Hollywood".

You did not include a photo or mention the type of fabric that the pants are made from.
    These are may be early Gernreich.
    (lucky you)

fyi: The Hollywood costume designer William Travilla created the white dress for Marilyn, I don't believe it was off the rack.

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  5. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Fascinating info, guys! Cant add a thing but loved reading this...

Ang

6. Maybe this could be added to the label resource?

Just a thought from my vicodin addled brain- had my shoulder scoped yesterday-owwwww....wimper~

7. eel

eel Registered Guest

the pants are pretty thick black satin, zip up the back, skinny.
    I can squeeze into them but need to lose 10 lbs. to be able to sit. Damn hips.

oh and "shoulder scoped" sounds awful! feel better

8. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Could you post a pic eel of the pants - even though they are black - against a white wall or a sheet?

Was it 'California Fashion' where you found the reference on JAX Jennifer?

9. HamptonsVintageStyle

HamptonsVintageStyle Registered Guest

I have 2 pairs of Jax pants. a Pink Gingham pair as well and a dark high waisted demin pair. they are SO cute.

Christina likes this.
  10. joules

joules VFG Member

11. HuntMode

HuntMode Registered Guest

I worked for Jax - Beverly Hills in 1972 or 1973 as a model/saleswoman. While he was famous for those pants - Jackie Kennedy had a pair and, as I recall, said she liked them because it showed the line of her underwear - he was famous for cashmere dresses and some fantastic sandals. Quite simply, he made women look good!

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  12. colleen rose

colleen rose Registered Guest

One of my favorite -all-time boutiques....he made the sexiest spaghetti strap, nipped in waist, full skirted cotton dresses (with voluminous petticoats) that ever walked Rodeo Drive!

foofoogal likes this.
  13. TBall

TBall Registered Guest

Jax provided their fashionable clothing to Lola Albright during the first TV season of "Peter Gunn" in the late Fifties. Quite an accomplishment for them considering the popularity of the series and subsequent Emmy Awards!!!