1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young Chicago Dress Date and Designer Questions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sazamtro, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sazamtro

Sazamtro Registered Guest

Hello everyone! I had a few questions on a dress I found that I was hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here could help me with.

The dress in question is from Marshall Field & Company's "Young Chicago" line. I'm assuming this was their junior fashion line at some point in history, but I'm unclear when. The other tag on the dress says Jeane Scott, Designed by Ole Borden, Margot Inc.

I looked up all in the label resource - Jeane Scott was not there, Margot Inc was only in association with Anne Fogerty, and the resource for Ole Borden only mentioned him working for Rembrandt and Lord & Taylor.

I was kind of going with early-mid 60's as a possible dating for this dress, but might it be as early as 50's? I'm not very good/confident at dating anything pre-70's.

I'm also a little confused on who this dress is by. Is it a Jeane Scott dress that is just using an Ole Borden pattern?

And my last question - was this dress designed to be worn with a petticoat/crinoline? I don't have one at the moment, which is why I didn't try it out underneath. But I'm wondering if it might look better if there was one filling out the skirt. The skirt is pleated all the way around.

Thank you for any help!
    IMG_2979b.jpg IMG_2969b.jpg IMG_2980b.jpg IMG_2985b.jpg IMG_2970c.jpg IMG_2971b.jpg

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Jeane Scott is the label, and Ole Borden, the designer. Margot Inc. is the company/mfg.
    Yes, juniors garment.

No crinoline.
    Nice dress! I think you're in the ballpark with your dating too.

3. Sazamtro

Thanks for your reply Joules! I'm never sure how to determine if a dress should have crinoline or not. Is there some sort of rule about this? Or is it only for fancier dresses? I see so many listings where they've put a crinoline under the skirt and just wonder how they know it needs one!

4. joules

joules VFG Member

My pleasure, you're welcome!

You know, one sees a lot of inappropriate crinoline action going on online. It's kind of jarring to the eye!
    Wish I could state a rule per se, it's just that when you've grown up during that crinoline prime time, you know when one is required.

With the pleated skirt of this dress, it would add crazy bulky volume.

That belt is really nice too, by the way.

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The colors and silhouettee say 60's. I agree with no crinoline, too.
    Marian

6. Another vote for early '60s and no crinoline - Joules is right when she talks about crinoline abuse online!

A skirt needs to be at least 2.5 metres around to allow for a crinoline - like Joules, I judge by eye. They're more common in dresses worn by young women, too, and more common where the skirt has been gathered into the waist rather than pleated, if that helps. If in doubt, put a crinoline underneath and see how it looks. If the hem is taut, remove the petticoat, it should be loose and full.

7. Sazamtro

Thank you all for your help!

Joules - Isn't that belt great? I'm pretty positive it's original to the dress - I almost wish it wasn't, because then I might have kept it!

Nicole - That information is actually really helpful. I've been noticing a lot more now when looking at listings where someone has a crinoline on a dress that probably doesn't need one. There's so much to learn about vintage fashion, and I'm enjoying every minute of it!