1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your biggest ally - SUNLIGHT!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by themerchantsofvintage, Sep 25, 2006.

1. I've just learned a very valuable lesson that I thought I would share and one I'm sure many of you already know.

I have a Broadtail shrug up and an ebayer asked about the yellowish hue. When I took the pictures late last year, there was the faintest hint of yellowing that the camera magnifyed considerably. I then wrapped and put in the fridge until a few weeks ago. I described the coat and flaws as I saw them, but I did forget to note the yellowish hue which was neglible in person (or so I thought). (And the way my description reads you'd think the Queen herself wore this coat!) Well, when I received the question about the yellowing I took the coat outside in the bright sunlight and it was like I was looking at a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COAT! More yellowing, a lifting in one small area, a tiny bald spot...

I am so grateful they asked the question.

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I can remember ladies in dress shops saying "can I take it to the window"
    You do not here or see them doing that today, maybe they think it looks as if they are shop lifters if they do that today in the self service shops.
    But that's the same thing seeing a fabric in proper daylight.

3. That's so true, Paul. With the dark months fast approaching I'm going to invest in some decent lighting for my work space. Perhaps, a good desk lamp. I just hope I haven't overlooked other flaws in other items.

If anyone has any suggestions for type of indoor light, I'm all ears.

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I am not clued up on this at all , can you get daylight... light bulbs if my memory is right they look blue ,and may not work either .

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I definitely agree with the sunlight test! It's amazing what shows up in the bright light of day.

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

On why we never say "take it to the window" anymore..part of it has to do with us being blared out of our minds by the bright lights of most stores these days. There aren't many shops left with mood lighting. The only time i ever do that anymore is in small consignment shops.

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Whenever, I buy a diamond I always take it out in the sunlight. Something about jewelry store florescent lights just don't give you a good idea of the color.

8. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Trying to find a store where you can get to sunlight to see the item is tricky.

I have noticed in consignment shops that most of the sales folks and owners have placed there offices and checkout corners in the front of the windows.

And nowdays in the shopping malls and shops the front doors are glass but that is the only sunlight coming through but you can't get the item past the security to even take it to those windows without making the alarms go off and everyone thinking you are shop lifting it.....

Sorry got off your main subject......:BAGUSE:

I take most of my pictures from spring to late summer. I will take some of the items I take pics of and place them on the website. Everything else gets added in the winter months when I can't take pictures outside. But then most of my stuff is at my grandmother's and I am not having to buy all throughout the year to supply my inventory.

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

"Whenever, I buy a diamond I always take it out in the sunlight."

You sound so posh Linda!

10. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

l still say 'can l take it to the window'... lve never ahd anyone say no...even when they have alarms, l ahve taken out the front doors, as if the alarm goes off they know its me....its never a problem....

It's a must to see its daylight tones......and l take most of my pics outside in daylight, to give true colours, unless a book or such like...if the weather is bad, l set the item by french doors or a south facing window.....

and l confess, l often ask sellers to take a pic of an item l'm interested in outside...lve never had anyone refuse...

ah but shopping malls.....US style l see your point...mnay of iours here have central atriums or ceiling so its not a prob...

11. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Whenever I find some vintage clothes at an estate sale, I always park myself on the couch (which is usually by the open window) and look at each thing in the light. I'm continually amazed at the things I find on a garment that looked almost perfect coming out of the closet.

12. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Posh..pooh...:)

I buy diamonds through the year and sell during December. Been buying them since 1992 and you learn all the tricks.

13. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

diamonds, well babe you must be in a league fo your own!! wowee..LOL

14. Linda, you ruined the image!!! I was enjoying the one where you walk in and buy one just for the fun of it.:D

15. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I'm lucky to have a greenhouse business - and the second I close down, the place fills up with vintage clothes. This way I can take pix "outside" all winter and also check over the clothes carefully.

The down side of this .... when I first started using the greenhouse I blithely hung everything up in there and did NOT cover anything - this is back in the days when I was still using metal hangers... :BAGUSE: So lots of my clothing got bleached out areas from the sun.