1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zelinka Matlick 1940s or 1950s? women's navy Juilliard virgin wool coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

We don't have this Zelinka Matlick label in our resource so I'm looking for opinions on whether this is more 1940s or 1950s. It could well be cusper.... the sleeves are raglan cut, full length and ever so slightly A-line shaped to the cuff. It is a 3/4 circle skirt and 40" from nape to hem. Bust approx 42", waist 32" - it has been let out at the waist by approximately 2". Lining is a navy rayon faille that has faded to purple. The back is cut with full length back panels like suiting is made.
    upload_2018-4-30_18-38-58.png upload_2018-4-30_18-48-58.png upload_2018-4-30_18-49-42.png upload_2018-4-30_18-50-42.png upload_2018-4-30_18-51-10.png upload_2018-4-30_18-51-35.png upload_2018-4-30_18-52-2.png

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Has it been shortened? It looks late 40's early 50's to me. But the proportions aren't really right for either unless it was shortened.
    Marian

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have the exact same reaction and question as Marian. It looks too short for the period. Are you sure it's a coat and not a dress that has been shortened?

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Not that I can tell no - it has a 2" hem with a rayon hem tape machine stitched on one side and herringbone stitched by hand on the other to the outer fabric, open bottom with thread cords attaching the lining. I mean the enlargement at the waist is really well done so it's possible they did the hem to the original standard too but I can't see any evidence of the length being changed.

5. I too thought the length was off, but, maybe it is more of a redingoat? (can't spell today) and it had a longer matching skirt?

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks "long" for a redding-coat (not sure how to spell it either) but I thought that might be a possibility, too...

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Spelling for redingote.

I find it looks like an early 50s spring coat and shortened or hemmed that way for a very short woman.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

There was a brief style for this length of suit jacket, circa 1948. It was a Victorian revival. Jo Ccopeland (for Patullo) did several suits with close to this this length, and a few other designers as well. It was indeed a take off on the redingote style. As a matter of fact, I have an ad from 1948 for a Julliard suit in this style, which I will find and post. The font on the Julliard label in that ad matches your label exactly. So it is a possibility.

But somehow I am leaning more to the short woman theory. But.....

I have an ad for a Mangone suit from 1948 with a jacket even longer!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

mangone 48.JPG OK, here is the Mangone suit with the long long jacket. 1948.

The Julliard jacket is not so long as I remembered, but is still showing that they did this revival style in 1948. And you can see the font is the same.

jul 48.JPG

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks! Those ads both have the full length sleeves and the Juilliard even has the wider cuff I was talking about.

11. Redingote.

I think the rounded shoulders put this one into the '50s although it does have a lot of late '40s features.

What's the waist to hem length? It sounds like the original hem but it is rather short for either time period.

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Waist to hem is 24" Nicole. It is too large for my mannequin which doesn't help with proportions.
    I also neglected to mention it has internal shoulder pads. Not very big ones, just for that shaping.

13. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Something new learned everyday with VFG.
    Marian

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  14. Thanks Melanie. It is short but if it had a matching skirt like the illustrations, that could explain it.