1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Esteban Kelly

Esteban Kelly Registered Guest

Are there any good books/reference guides to older lesser named zippers? I recently received a ton of older women’s product with some of the following:

-MURLEN
    -Speed
    -SWIFT
    -AMITY
    -ABIT
    -SERVAL
    -Crown

Any info is appreciated. I know military & leather uses crown and serval for some decades but I have not seen any info on women’s zippers.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

In a word - NO. I wish there was.

4. Auntie Establishment

Auntie Establishment Registered Guest

Hi there,

I have a great book on zippers however it only covers zippers from inception to pre 2nd world war AND its all in Japanese! But it has been a great help for older zippers and a fun read (I use google translate). It is called Zipper Gear by Aota Mituhiro. It was a treat to myself as it cost $200. You can order the book here: https://zippergear.com/en/index.html

Also, on instagram, @slide_fastener did her master's thesis on using zippers to date historic clothing. And @zipperarchive posts zippers and what they are attached to with dates. I am @auntieestablishment on instagram and am always happy to talk zippers and their dates!

Crown started in 1934 and continued through the 1960s
    Serval started around 1937/38 and continued into the mid 80s
    I don't remember seeing an ABIT zip.
    The other brands can be see in 1940s & 50s clothing but I don't have hard dates for them.

carla rey, Vinclothes and MagsRags like this.
  5. Esteban Kelly

Esteban Kelly Registered Guest

That is much appreciated! I will definitely have to look into getting that one. I usually focus on men’s but have recently received a lot of women’s product so I might as well take a look.