1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30's 40's straw platform sandals with embroidered indian sacrifice/burial scene??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Well, I wouldn't feel too bad...as the saying goes; tragedy+time=comedy

Not true is all cases of course, but there is a lot of "Donner Party" jokes out there!

3. Metro Retro Vintage

True Brenda. I wasn't sure what 'Donner' jokes meant I'll admit, and had to google. ;)

4. Bunny

Bunny Registered Guest

I love those shoes(so bizarre!) and this thread! too funny :hysterical:

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see these being worn as revenge shoes, worn by a woman whose former lover had, in a sense, torn her heart out.

Veeeeeeeery interesting. And Laura I like your phrase "doobied up".

B

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I could use some doobying up on peyote about now, and then being slaughtered.... But love those shoes!

What size are they, may I ask?

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

minute I think is the answer, 9 1/4" long 2 3/4" wide both inside.

9. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Oh, dang it all! They would fit me length-wise, but not width wise.... I have small feet, and they used to be narrow, but a surgery on my right foot has made the front of my foot too wide for a narrow width--which yours are. I think about 2 7/8" to 3" is a medium width in that length....

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

they probably would fit you, you know...lucky thing - that width was the hard insole (or platform width, in the pictures), the straw upper is quite a bit wider than that either side but I do tend to err on the safe side with measurements as you have to consider depth as well as width as I'm sure you know. I wasn't actually considering them for sale to wear as although they look fab in those photos they need a complete resole & re-heel and I thought there wasn't much point if they were going to be for display only!

I don't know where to put these up now, etsy or ebay I've had quite a few interested people.

11. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

OK this is funny in that odd sort of way. Thursday night I was channel surfing and landed on Turner Classic Movies

They were running the movie Kings of the Sun
    The first scene was a sacrifice at the Mayan temple at Chichen Itza
    I didnt watch the whole movie as it was pretty lame.

But then Friday I was surfing again and came across this movie
    Apocalypto
    The scene I came in on was the Mayan sacrifice scene in which the hero is spared due to a solar eclipse as they were about to plunge the sacred knife (bad juju!)
    Now this was a good movie, very fast paced and well done!

I was thinking of these shoes, this post...and how odd to encounter this subject matter in two movies in two days.

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

lol I skipped Apocalypto when it came out in the cinemas because it looked like a truly naff man film, but when I watched it on Tv not long ago, thought it was brill, though it is quite gory, I liked the way it had very little talking and relied on good filming.

13. Metro Retro Vintage

Fabulous movie Apocalypto.

If any of you ever pick up the CD, it includes a separate behind-the-scenes film which discusses the textiles and how they were dyed and how they kept to traditional methods, etc. along with other interesting costuming information.