1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever seen one of these name sweaters?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by zannew, Jan 12, 2014.

1. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Hi All,

I wondered if any of you have ever seen one of these sweaters. I haven't been able to find any info. on-line on Winnie Woolens. I assume it's from the 1950s. Any other information you may have is welcome. Thank you!

DSC_1497.JPG DSC_1498.JPG DSC_1499.JPG DSC_1500.JPG DSC_1502.JPG

2. joules

joules VFG Member

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

An August 1946 ad for Winnie Wools sweaters states: "So cute is the 'Dutch Boy and Girl' in a 100 percent virgin wool "Winnie Wool" sweater. It's called 'Will You?'...You may also choose reindeer designs, Jitterbugs, Jam Session, and name sweaters; priced from $5.98 to $9.35."

I only found ads for Winnie Wools sweaters from 1946 to 1948.

(Note: Edited reply to correct the typo in the "from" date above to 1946)

GemGem and Flannery Crane like this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A May 1946 newspaper article has a story about Miss Jane Overley, a 15-year-old girl from Brewerton, N.Y., who "has been selected as the winner of a national sweater design contest sponsored by Lily Kingstone, noted sweater designer...Her original sweater design which the youthful stylist has named 'Winnie Wool' was chosen from more than 25,000 entries submitted by teen-age youngsters throughout the country...The inspiration for her sweater which she named 'Winnie Wool' came in the middle of the night, according to the peppy teen-age girl who has been designing clothes for paper dolls since she was a little tyke. The pattern is based upon musical notes and picturization of musical instruments played by the teen's favorite jive orchestra leaders."

The sweater shown on Ms. Overley is nearly identical to some of the Winnie Wool(s) sweaters in ads I found. Also, many of those Winnie Wool(s) ads showed a label that said they were designed by Lily Kingstone.

Flannery Crane likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

HERE is a 1946 ad for Winnie Wool sweaters, and which mentions designer Lily Kingston (sic) and the name sweaters.

Alice M, wyogems and Flannery Crane like this.
  6. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Oh my! What a treasure trove of info! Thank you so much! Is the archive where you search available to the public? I'd be very interested in knowing how to better research my finds. Thank you again, so much!

Vlk94 likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Happy to help. If you e-mail me at my VFG name (it begins with an "L" and not an "i") at Comcast.net, I will copy some of my search tips from a long Word document I wrote about it a while ago. I first need to update some of the out-of-date URLs and suggestions, though.

9. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Thank you very much! I have sent the email.

10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I love ALL of these!

Flannery Crane likes this.
  11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Me too - Wow. That was quite a grammy wearing that jamming sweater.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Alice M likes this.
  12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

13. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

Love these! Thanks for sharing the information.

14. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

16. Jocelyn Sprouse

Jocelyn Sprouse Registered Guest

1E95168C-E5B2-4B64-88B5-26BC1E3437A6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
  17. Jocelyn Sprouse

Jocelyn Sprouse Registered Guest

This is my mom wearing a Winnie Wool Names sweater!! My friend directed me to thus site! I’m so excited to find out the designer and see the sweater in color!

18. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hello Jocelyn! Thanks for sharing your lovely mom. I edited your post to make the photo easier to see.