"Iconic" sweaters from the 1940s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by lindapoirier, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

L

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Vlk94

Vlk94 Registered Guest

I'd be very interested in a book! Hopefully one comes around.

3. lindapoirier

L

4. Midge

Midge Trade Member

Wow, I want that bunny sweater :hysterical:. I'm by no way an expert but the bunny and swan sweaters look machine-knit to me, not hand-knitted. But of course you could do it by hand. Not that difficult, it's an easy shape, it would just be a pattern that would take time and a lot of counting... not something I would knit in front of the TV, though I am getting better at this! I've just finished my first cardigan with some kind of ajour pattern - went quicker than I thought but I still have to put it together (that actually is the most tedious part!).

Karin

5. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Trade Member

Linda you have such a passion for these wonderful sweaters and clearly an archive going! If you are inclined, I agree, a book would be fantastic and you betcha, you would have buyers. I have never seen so many wonderful sweaters as in this thread. What with all the interesting old photos, it's a book in the making and endlessly fascinating.

Julia

6. lindapoirier

L

Leonardo da Vintage likes this.
  7. lindapoirier

L

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Trade Member

Wow - amazing! That Egyptian sweater is amazing! Now that the worst at work is over, I hope can get "down" a bit again and finish the last few things I've started working on. I will post that cardigan for sure once it's finished!
    I have bought some vintage Mary Maxim patterns (which I only know about thanks to the VFG!) for kid's sweaters, which I want to make for my cousin's boy. One with a steam train, and one with a pirate motif for when he's a bit older. I think they're so cool!

Karin

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

10. lindapoirier

L

11. lindapoirier

L

12. lindapoirier

L

morning-glorious likes this.
  13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

14. lindapoirier

L

15. lindapoirier

L

16. Midge

Midge Trade Member

These are just all so amazing. I want... that first Hawaiian, and the Space Cadet :headbang:. Honestly, they're so wacky, I would wear these if I could! This beats anything modern for fun!

Karin

17. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member

I love those Hawaiian theme sweaters Linda, and had to check out the one you show in post #93 on Etsy, and wowwee! $500 and reserved for a buyer already! I usually pass by the sweaters when shopping, but no more! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for sure.

18. lindapoirier

L

19. lindapoirier

L

20. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Linda, all your sweaters are making me smile! So thanks :)

I bought my husband a great sweater a while back, and would like to take a photo of it and post it next week to see if you think it's 40s... after looking at all your pics I think it may be.