1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Iconic" sweaters from the 1940s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Feb 20, 2013.

1. applesandarsenic

applesandarsenic Registered Guest

Even Bob Hope was a fan!

I'm lucky enough to own one of these fantastic totem sweaters and anytime I wear it I can't keep the compliments away!!
    The one Im wearing in my profile picture has bulldozers or snowplows on it! Love them!

Picture 11.png '

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a beauty, Linda! That collection of yours is growing by leaps and bounds before you know it you will need a cupboard dedicated to these!

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I just saw an ad for a sweater set that described the "non-cardigan" as a slip-over. I have always called them pullovers or short sleeved sweaters.

I love your collection, Linda!

Linn

4. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

......I'm lucky enough to own one of these fantastic totem sweaters and anytime I wear it I can't keep the compliments away!!
    The one Im wearing in my profile picture has bulldozers or snowplows on it! Love them!.....

That is a wonderful couple of sweaters and I think now we are into Cowichan sweaters, which is what the one you are wearing in your avatar looks to be. My hubby has one his mother made him years ago with killer whales but it has to be cold for him to wear it here in the Pacific NW. Those sweaters are just about the warmest things going. I have a vintage one with a deer pattern that it way to large for me but somehow I can't part with it yet!

Julia

5. Oh wow, my friend Jen Fleck just posted this light-blue airplane sweater on her private FB page, drooling over it and wishing someone she knew had won it, as she'd love to drool over it in person. Linda, do you know her? She's in Portland. If so... you should put it on and go taunt her with it. I wrote on her post, "You know, I think I might know who won that!" And I was right. Everyone was just swooning in the comments : ).

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

178042-MM8384.jpg

I love this sweater thread. And because of it I picked up a sweater identical in design to this one, but mine is not quite as contrasty re: the colors. 40's style - made in the 70's by Drummond. It has a few holes to be repaired but it was very inexpensive.

7. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I'm no expert in the exact correct terms but I live in the Seattle area and as you know quite close to Vancouver Island and everyone around here calls the heavy knitted sweaters with natural colored dark and light wool and animal motifs Cowichan and maybe incorrectly though many of them probably are genuine. I am aware of what you are saying and for sure my husbands is not authentic but I still call it Cowichan as it is done in that style. Good point though.
    Julia

8. poppysvintageclothing

9. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

This thread inspired me to pick up this sweater. I don't think it's 40s, but rather 70s does 40s Deco Revival.

Can anyone make out this label?

Thanks so much!

snailsweater6.jpg snailsweatermain.jpg snailsweater2.jpg snailsweater.jpg

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Linda I've just seen a bowling jumper that must be a Mary Maxim or Cowichan, but the seller doesn't mention a name or label. It has raglan sleeves and is iris blue, according to your fab wool chart :D

11. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Linda - I was able to find a "Bago LTD" who made sweaters. And for the life of me I can't figure out what's on the shoulder!

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm quite sure it is Mary Maxim now, after finding two other sold examples of the same design, it is a ladies one with a girl wearing a circle skirt bowling on the back. It's odd because the seller has it listed as american knit, the price suggests they know these are collectable, but they haven't made the connection.

13. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Linda, you are allowed to post educational links that are not promotional or sales oriented.

14. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks for sharing that link, Linda. It really is quite fabulous to see the work in process.

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I love how the archer girl is wearing her own jumper!

16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks for posting that Linda - I've never have known that either! Plus I really want that cute polar bear number now...

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

18. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Awesome. Maybe you could open a Museum of vintage sweaters along with your book.
    Sandy

19. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Never heard of that label (but I'm in the UK so...) love how they used the button band as a tree/collar as a branch, and the chenille tails!

20. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Linda, I thought of you today, when I happened to see a bit of the movie "Cynthia" (1947) with Liza Taylor just a little while ago. There was a scene of a teen boy wearing a sweater with reindeer and the waist cuff folded up, just as shown in the ad you posted. I never would have noticed it otherwise! This has been (and continues to be) a great educational thread for me.

Vlk94 likes this.