1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Iconic" sweaters from the 1940s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Vlk94

Vlk94 Registered Guest

I'd be very interested in a book! Hopefully one comes around.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I want that bunny sweater :hysterical:. I'm by no way an expert but the bunny and swan sweaters look machine-knit to me, not hand-knitted. But of course you could do it by hand. Not that difficult, it's an easy shape, it would just be a pattern that would take time and a lot of counting... not something I would knit in front of the TV, though I am getting better at this! I've just finished my first cardigan with some kind of ajour pattern - went quicker than I thought but I still have to put it together (that actually is the most tedious part!).

Karin

3. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Linda you have such a passion for these wonderful sweaters and clearly an archive going! If you are inclined, I agree, a book would be fantastic and you betcha, you would have buyers. I have never seen so many wonderful sweaters as in this thread. What with all the interesting old photos, it's a book in the making and endlessly fascinating.

Julia

4. Midge

Wow - amazing! That Egyptian sweater is amazing! Now that the worst at work is over, I hope can get "down" a bit again and finish the last few things I've started working on. I will post that cardigan for sure once it's finished!
    I have bought some vintage Mary Maxim patterns (which I only know about thanks to the VFG!) for kid's sweaters, which I want to make for my cousin's boy. One with a steam train, and one with a pirate motif for when he's a bit older. I think they're so cool!

Karin

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That Egyptian motif is too much...and I really like the "name" sweater!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Those space sweaters are great and I love the Hawaiian one too!

7. Midge

These are just all so amazing. I want... that first Hawaiian, and the Space Cadet :headbang:. Honestly, they're so wacky, I would wear these if I could! This beats anything modern for fun!

Karin

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I love those Hawaiian theme sweaters Linda, and had to check out the one you show in post #93 on Etsy, and wowwee! $500 and reserved for a buyer already! I usually pass by the sweaters when shopping, but no more! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for sure.

9. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Linda, all your sweaters are making me smile! So thanks :)

I bought my husband a great sweater a while back, and would like to take a photo of it and post it next week to see if you think it's 40s... after looking at all your pics I think it may be.

10. Linda, thank you for sharing your wonderful sweaters, and your knowledge with us. It's all entirely new information for me, and I appreciate it.

I definitely agree that you should write a book (oh, and if you need an editor ... here I am ; ).

Maybe you could talk with one or more of the VFG authors about how to go about it? Find them and their work, here: http://vintagefashionguild.org/vfg-member-books/

11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

There's a sweater company near me in Stowe, Dia North of Boston, which is doing plays on these great vintage designs.

$_57.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

OK, so my husband's sweater is not very exciting compared to the ones you've posted... But I have always wondered if it's 40s or 50s. It's from Simpson's and is made in Austria, and has wonderful colors and is super well-made and thick. What do you think?

IMG_1273.jpg

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am LOVING this thread! I wanted to chime in earlier but kept putting it off. These sweaters are fabulous. And to learn about the designers is priceless...who knew that the great Travis Banton (and the others) did sweaters for Catalina? Well, not me! Just wonderful.

I do agree a book is in order. I also agree that having the resources to write one is daunting and damn near impossible for us working girls.....takes years and years and money helps! But we would all love to see you write one about those sweaters. Yum!

:cheer:

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I love that sweater Linda! I'd wear that in a heartbeat :wub: what do you do with all your sweaters? surely you have too many to display at once?

15. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Wow, you scored for $14.99! I love that.

My husband's sweater is actually coral/orange and chartreuse! Not really bright, but definitely green. The kind of color combo many people call ugly but I think is fabulous. :) It is all-wool, very thick, and very smooth and not itchy. I'm away from home but will try to snap a pic of the label later.

16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

That's really interesting you've noticed that Linda, I wonder if you could take a look at this altered sweater I have? which seems to have both the fine knit and high waistband you speak of, but nobody was really sure of it's original date: http://forums.vintagefashionguild.o...nstarsia-knitted-sweater-vest-tank-top.49592/

17. Midge

More fabulous sweaters - great! And to have the corresponding ad too! That Mary Maxim and your Catalina collection look great too - so colorful! Saarinen tulip table and chairs? Oh how great is that! I'm getting a serious case of furniture envy here :hysterical:.

Karin

18. Metro Retro Vintage

Such a cute monkey sweater. Sure wish I knew where to find one! ;)

19. Metro Retro Vintage

20. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've never heard a specific term for a short sleeved sweater. A sleeveless sweater, I call a tanktop, but I think that's a British term? not sure.

Sweater terms seem vary a lot between countries. In the UK we generally use jumper, more than sweater. I think in the US a jumper means what I would call a pinafore dress? In the UK, pullover is synonymous with sweater or jumper. I used to hear jersey for sweater as well, though you don't hear that much anymore. That came about from a specific style of sweater from island of Jersey, but became a more generic term.