1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Iconic" sweaters from the 1940s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

2. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Love the latest ones.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I just discovered I have a Mary Maxim sweater, only I didn't realise it until now. It's the man's snowflake design in cream with black and red. Classic colours. I just bought it because it was clearly 100% wool and a quality knit. It has been lined in brushed cotton. The heavy duty metal zipper reads 'LASH' not a british brand as far as I'm aware, bit hard to search for though :/ anyone recognise it?

Btw Linda, I've managed to pick up some MM patterns since I started reading this thread, I hope to get some made up eventually by a couple of avid knitters I know. I do wonder if the 'size' of 4ply has varied over time however, as the aforementioned sweater seems to have thicker yard than what I know of as a modern 4ply.

Midge likes this.
  4. Midge

I'm still working on knitting a sweater from a MM pattern that must be from the 50s or 60s (the steam locomotive) and it was a bit of trial and error to find wool that works, plus finding out how big it should actually be. And now I keep running out of wool because I didn't want to buy too much in the beginning, so I have to go keep going back to the wool shop to buy more - and of course I keep forgetting. A well, my cousin's little boy will be getting it for his next birthday or so, it's still too big anyway. I have bought "Superbingo" by Lana Grossa (100% merino) and am using European/German size needles no. 6 and no. 7, if that's any help.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Karin what size does it give for the tension?

6. Midge

According to the pattern 3 1/2 stitches and 5 rows = 1 inch. I knit fairly firmly and it works out to about that for me.

7. Midge

Linda - that's an amazing idea, your "Frankenstein" sweater! I'm doing it in a boy's size, raglan sleeves, and will put in a zip. I find it fairly easily to follow so far, the graphs are easy to read. I still have one front to finish and one more sleeve to knit, and then the collar, and putting it all together.
    I started to realized how thick the wool must have been when I was trying out different ones til I got to the right one. Yes, it's not the cheapest thrill, but I do like knitting, and when I saw these patterns I just knew that's the kind of thing to make for a little boy. And I know my cousin will appreciate it. Wool shops are a rarity around many cities in Switzerland these days (especially Zurich - too many designer, jewelry and watch shops :no:), often it's just bigger department stores that still have wool and knitting accessories, but thankfully in my suburb there is still a small, traditional wool shop, so I have the good stuff at my hands!

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Definetly not a British 4 ply! That would be a Chunky in UK yarn thickness which is what I thought mine looked like at a glance. According to a chart I looked at it's a US Bulky? So I don't know what country's system that definition of 4 ply actually belongs to!

9. Midge

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

This thread always makes me swoon, but I am on the floor seeing that jitterbug print sweater.

11. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I love this thread, too!

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I just read Jonathan's blog on Mary Maxim here:
    http://kickshawproductions.com/blog/?p=408
    it explains why I found the patterns so easily (been picking them up since I read about it on here!) they opened an office in Leicester which is 30 mins from me - Leicester has always been a centre for knitwear in Britain.
    I know Jonathan said none of the patterns are dated, but 3 of mine are marked patented 1957 (Men's Buffalo and Indian Eagle, and child's Prairie Prancers) I also have men's Wolf. But seeing as they all have the Leicester address on the back they must all be at least 1958 I suppose...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    foofoogal likes this.
  13. collegedistrict

collegedistrict Registered Guest

What a classic but honestly, I really liked this sweaters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Love the new sweaters, Linda. That Jergens Lotion ad you have up on the wall for chapped hands is wonderful! Looks like you're having a great time decorating your new home!

15. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Linda. One other thing to think about with sweaters is some places it only gets cool enough to wear a few times a year.
    I grew up in South Texas and maybe in Jan. or Feb. you could break them out so to speak.
    Perhaps that is why I love them so also.
    Sandy

16. Midge

17. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is one wacky light fixture in the top right hand corner. Love it...and the way you have made your space cadet theme work in this room!

18. Midge

19. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

And this hand knit wool sweater - sold overnight.

Debbie

DSCN7217.JPG

DSCN7215.JPG