1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify the age/era of this Aquascutum coat label. 80s?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Julie C., Jan 16, 2014.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Sorry Ruth I was writing on this thread while doing other things and missed several posts.

2. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

Well, after a little research on "by Royal Appointment" for the brand, I'm almost sure this piece was made just after Queen Elizabeth coronation (1953), so it could be from 1954. I'm going to contact Aquascutum anyway, hopefully they'll solve the riddle! :puzzled:

@Lorraine - yes, the fur collar is original, not attached. The buttons are black, the light was pretty bad when I took the photos.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Please let us know what you find out!

If you don't get any joy from Aquascutum, Melanie's suggestion to contact the Royal Warrant people is also a good one. They may be able to tell you what is the latest date that Prince of Wales Warrant could have been used.

4. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

Will do! Thanks again for all your help!!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Looking forward to hearing more news on it. I am betting on 1954!

tickeryboo and Retro Ruth like this.
  6. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

Ruth, from what i remember of earlier Aquascutum coats i have had, it did change once Charles became Prince of Wales, and just said "by appointment to hrh prince of wales". i'm sure it remained "by appointment to the prince of wales 1930-36" until charles. i've also looked this up before when i had a coat with the royal warrant for 30/36 but i can't for the life of me remember where i found the info, it was quite a while ago and the old grey cells you know!!

lorraine

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

@Lorraine - yes, the fur collar is original, not attached. The buttons are black, the light was pretty bad when I took the photos.

julie, i thought the buttons would be black, glad to know i'm not losing my marbles :USETHUMBUP:

lorraine

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Right! Good to know. Which means this coat is likely to be before 1958! And after 1952. I bet MJ is going to be spot on with 1954.

tickeryboo likes this.
  9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

My feeling was that they were winging it by continuing to use the warrant despite the fact he was no longer The Prince of Wales, simply because there was nothing in the rules that said they couldn't...

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Based on the style of this coat alone and what I see so far I would most agree with the coat dating to 1954 or close. Those really deep raglan style sleeves were very popular in the early 50s, the turn back cuffs were a very popular feature throughout the 50s, and the wider sweep was also popular in the 50s. The collar style does look like a feature seen later 50s and into the early 60s. All of the features combined make me think mid 50s. Sometimes the lining color and fabric also help me to better determine age as well as the overall length of a coat. The collar looks like Mouton fur. It's very pretty. It is pretty difficult to tell real Mouton from faux Mouton online but if you want to check to be certain yourself sometimes on faux Mouton you can feel a stiff graph that the faux fibers are stitched through at the base or if real you can feel flat suede/leathery skin. If you can't tell this way you can also pull a few furs from an inconspicuous area like inside by the seam to do a burn test. If it burns fast and smells like hair it's real and if it melts and smells like plastic it's faux.

tickeryboo likes this.
  11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Those pockets look deep, are quite wide, and look to be placed higher than average, and more to the front of the coat. The pockets leads me to think this is a mid to late 1950s coat.

It is a very nice coat indeed.