1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life size Jantzen girl display?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kenwa, Aug 16, 2016.

?

Jantzen display

1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

83.3%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kenwa

Kenwa Registered Guest

Ruth-
    So funny. I was just writing about finding one in Europe just as your post came up. Below is a screen shot that gives details. Maybe this is the one you saw. Whoever made these made sure that they were well traveled. I am in the U.S. :)

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 10.13.43 AM.png

2. I get the feeling they are rather new knockoffs after reading the Jantzen post. A shame some sellers are capitalizing on the Jantzen brand to receive enormous prices.
    thank you for sharing your mannequin. I enjoy a good mystery.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

No I think the one I saw was blue, like yours. Not sure though, memory could be playing tricks. I don't think it was for sale, it looked like part of a permanent display.

4. Kenwa

Kenwa Registered Guest

Let us know. Maybe the owner of that one has some history.

5. Kenwa

Kenwa Registered Guest

Perhaps but where did they come from and why were they made? My 6' version seems to be quite old but then again the 70's was a while back now :)

ReilVintage likes this.
  6. nevynxx

nevynxx Registered Guest

I bought the short version in the early 90's from a shop fittings company who were also selling repro life-size ones but the life-size figure was fully shaped not flat blacked like yours. Mine was purchased as Jayne Russell.

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for posting! That's great information. She looks very Jessica Rabbit, doesn't she?

nevynxx likes this.
  8. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I think Fredericks of Hollywood when I see this.
    Perhaps they made them? Just a wild guess or thought.

9. Pistol

Pistol Registered Guest

Would like to know if you ever found out anymore about "Jayne's" origin. I have a "large version" as well which I acquired a few years ago from an antique dealer in Texas. The dealer had owned her for a while and thought as you did . . . that she was a 50's Jantzen swimsuit mannequin. My initial research turned up nothing more that you found . . . just the smaller versions and large one for sale on ebay. Any additional info would be appreciated!

10. Mr. Smoothex

Mr. Smoothex Registered Guest

I am just visiting a friend in the UK and he has this one.

Some very interesting theroies on the origin of the mannequins. Hope someone has more information. IMG_20170725_083034.jpg IMG_20170725_083015.jpg

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I did revisit the shop, but it's not the same mannequin. Similar style though.

Mannequin in Shoreham.jpg

PescettiGommosi likes this.
  12. Captdave1971

Captdave1971 Registered Guest

I picked a full size gal up today at an estate sale in Florida. I read all posts. I think mine is a reproduction. The color looks too new as compared to the others. But alas, a rare mystery. I tried to post picture but wouldn't go thru.

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member