1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50's/60's Hilton Bowling shirt - cleaning?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stainedglass, Sep 12, 2017.

1. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Hi!
    Just found this Hilton bowling shirt in my moms closet with chain stitch embroidery. Alco Moving & Storage was my grandmothers business. My mom said it was hers when she was around 11, which would be early 70's, but the label matches Hilton shirts from 50's-early 60's. I think it could've been passed down to her. Anyway, I'd like to wear it myself, but i'm not sure how to clean it. Should I have it dry cleaned? Or should I only hand wash it? It feels like rayon. There are many stains which don't bother me much but I added an example photo. Thank you
    IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG

2. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Hi stainedglass!

Cool bowling shirt--and how wonderful that it has family history for you!

Personally, I would have it dry-cleaned, since the chain-stitch embroidery can sometime cause dye-run onto the lighter background fabric. However, if you do not have access to a cleaner that you trust, then you could carefully hand-wash it, in cold water and lay it flat to dry.

3. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Thanks for the tip! I would not have known about the embroidery causing dye-run. Thanks!

4. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Using a dye catcher sheet in the wash and rinse water might help prevent any dye run.