1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking information on Thurn Paris New York label for a very special gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Aug 7, 2018.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all!
    I have a pretty amazing antique metallic gold floral lamé gown in my possession labeled 'Thurn Paris New York'. I found a handful of gowns that are listed in the met museum, one labeled "Thurn New York" which states "Thurn was a respected New York dressmaking firm during the Belle Époque which collaborated with French couturiers."

Does anyone know any more information about the Thurn label which also included Paris? I found two Thurn Paris New York labels at the Met which were designed by Lanvin.

The gown I have has a hidden under bodice with hook and eye closures and eye hook closures up the left hand side. I was given a date of early 1910s - i'm curious as this gown seems costume-like - reminds me a bit of the lavish stylings of Marie Antoinette. Any idea on what occasion a gown like this would have been worn / made for back then? Also, i did add tissue paper underneath the skirt folds - would this gown have had cage paniers added for fullness?

Thanks much!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am sorry I don't have much time to dig further right now, but I found a few small things about Thurn, among which is a 1912 article that notes:
    'James B. Blaine, head designer for New York's Thurn, a retailer and importer of Paris fashion, declared that Paris was 'American made.' "

and a quote from a book on NY fashion, the title of which I regret I forgot to copy:

"...in December 1912 the head of the newly formed Society of American Fashions pointed out that many other American designers had been sewing Parisian labels into their American-made clothes to attract buyers, and Thurn, one of the most prominent import and custom-made American clothing houses, admitted it had done just that."

I found classified ads from Thurn, from 1899, looking for seamstresses. One 1899 classified ad was from a seamstress looking for work and who noted "...years with Thurn, 5th av., as seamstress..." She did not say how many years she had been with them.

3. DaisyandStella

Very interesting!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It certainly looks as though it was designed for a costume ball. So pretty!

The rosettes look very 1920s to me.

Very interesting information Lynne located about them too!

DaisyandStella likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is stunning and a joy to see!

I get a sense of mid to late 'Teens on this one. There was a 19th century revival in fashion at that time. But it is SO so very heavily influenced by those earlier styles that one has to wonder if this was indeed a costume made to be worn to a high end Fancy Dress Ball.

Wow, what a beauty.

Stacy Hague and DaisyandStella like this.
  6. Stacy Hague

Stacy Hague Registered Guest

Greetings!! I am late to the party, Caroline Otillie Albertine Thurn Hague, my Great Grandmother was also known as La Doyen de la couture, owner of Thurn Fashions, named for the Princely House of Thurn und Taxis located @ 15 East 52nd. I have quite a bit of information. You can look on my Pinterest site if you like for multiple pics and I will include a couple of screenshots for you. The storefront is still there, I visited a couple of years ago…. No longer a dress shop.
    My email is [email protected], Stacy A99BDC8F-98A5-45F4-A51B-665E18F4C9FB.png 31C6E0BE-2E83-4B2D-B022-AFA17C0EAB43.png A99BDC8F-98A5-45F4-A51B-665E18F4C9FB.png 31C6E0BE-2E83-4B2D-B022-AFA17C0EAB43.png

7. Stacy Hague

Stacy Hague Registered Guest

Started reading some of these posts- GGrandmother met my GGrandfather in Paris, France, where he and his father sold textiles and they were imported for the shop but I have no information to lead me to believe any of the finished garments were made anywhere other than New York.

8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Brooke,

It is beautiful, gorgeous and whoever had this made and wore it would have looked fantastic.

I know nothing about Thurn.

It is imo a costume ball costume, must have been some party and possibly for the night.

I understand the MA reference but such costumes were spread, to show wealth, to show off,, your costume, while would have cost, is folded, gathered.

I have looked at your photos many times, my feeling is it was not worn with paniers or rolls, it would have lifted the costume to high.

The costume design suggest early 19th century but other influences, eras are at play.

I would dearly love to know the shoes the lady chose to wear, I hope they were comfortable, I can't imagine the wearer sitting down, her poor feet.

Beautifully made by a House, a skillful seamstress.

Lovely, gorgeous.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

That’s so fantastic Stacy. Do you happen to have photos of the actual label. The OP didn’t include one. We would love it if you could share the history of the House, when it started, any background on your grandparents, how long it was in existence etc

10. DaisyandStella

This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this. I'll definitely be checking out your Pinterest site. Did your Great Grandmother design as well?

GemGem likes this.
  11. DaisyandStella

I can also include a pic of the label. Let me track it down quick.

GemGem and Vintagiality like this.
  12. DaisyandStella

Here's the label image.

Attached Files:

13. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

What a fantastic thread to read. This place is such an amazing reuniter!