1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darnell of London

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by catwalkcreative, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ian dewar

ian dewar Registered Guest

Hello.I knew Eric Darnell quite well.He was my landlord from 1970 to 1973 in Hampstead and yes he was the dressmaker for Dusty,who I remember seeing at a party downstairs in 1970.
    He was a funny man who was once a judge for Miss World,and who made a memorable appearance on an early reality show called The Big Time on tv in the late seventies.
    We went into his shop near Selfidges in 1995 and were astounded to find him there -I had been living in Canada for 16 years and assumed he had croaked. We ended up having dinner that evening back in Hampstead with his partner David.

2. BarbaraRolfe

BarbaraRolfe Registered Guest

Are you still interested in Darnell? I now have a DVD of Eric Darnell talking about his career/life and one of his fashion show at Mossimans (probably in the 80’s) but would need to post these to you

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Of course Barbara, are you in the UK?

GemGem likes this.
  4. BarbaraRolfe

Yes, apologies for delay in replying, happy to post dvds to you in UK.

GemGem likes this.
  5. Carol Windmill

Carol Windmill Registered Guest

I have just come across your enquiry about Douglas Darnell, I notice it was quite a while ago but I might be able to answer some questions about his early story as I worked at Darnell of London for a few years as a couture dressmaker in the 1960's. When I started work there Douglas Darnell and Eric Plant were in partnership. In about the mid 60's there was falling out and Eric continued to work at the salon in Hinde Street and continued to work under the name of Darnell and Douglas worked from home. As far as I can recall both continued to make dresses for Shirley Bassey. We also made dresses for Dusty Springfield, the lovely Diana Dors, The Beverly sisters and many more stars. We were a small team of about 8 dressmakers a cutter and fitter and a beader. It was quite a happy place to work and exciting to see "our" dresses on the tele and in the press.

6. BarbaraRolfe

Carol, you may have known my brother, Colin?

GemGem likes this.
  7. Becky Nash

Becky Nash Registered Guest

Posting on behalf of Mrs Denise James - I worked at Darnells for years as a dressmaker. The black dress in the photo was one I made. I would love to answer any questions you may have

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Oh how wonderful to hear from you. I still have this dress frm Darnell, and I would love to hear anything you know about it.

[​IMG]

My listing is here, for more information and pictures: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/854...y-70s-couture-silk?ref=shop_home_feat_3&frs=1

9. Joanne Moore

Joanne Moore Registered Guest

Hi Becky
    I’m replying on behalf of my mum Carol Hulbert.
    She worked at Darnells with Denise. Mum asked how is Denise?

10. Joanne Moore

Hi all
    My mum Carol Hulbert worked at Darnells.

11. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

12. Siobhan drew

Siobhan drew Registered Guest

Hi everyone! First time posting here!
    I recently bagged a beautiful Darnell dress and have been trying to find out as much as I can before listing! Are any of you lovely ladies that worked there able to remember anything about it? If not then I hope you like the pics :)
    Xxx

B0F8423B-5253-418B-B64E-ABD5FCA56571.jpeg 29614954-0B9D-4FF6-97E9-D6AE4DDF54E6.jpeg

13. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

*Best Thread EVER

14. Weasel

Weasel Registered Guest

I also recently acquired this stunning sequinned Darnell dress and am looking to find out more information about it. Can any of you lovelies provide any help? B2B233F8-2A75-474D-8674-BDA658E81AD4.jpeg 6B56BBD1-C20D-445E-A0D1-A941C118F1D8.jpeg

15. Becky Nash

Becky Nash Registered Guest

Hi Joanne. Denise is very well thank you. She remembers your mum and said she tried to keep in touch. How is Carol?

16. Joanne Moore

Hi there great to hear that Denise is doing well. Mum is great thank you. Tell Denise she still sees Doreen. Please pass on my email address and they can exchange numbers
    [email protected]
    Let’s try and get them chatting again

Retro Ruth likes this.