1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cloche or older replica style?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Apr 17, 2019.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I'm loving this hat and it does resemble a cloche to me, but I'm not quite sure! It's a woven type material with little stretch to it. No tags or anything unfortunately. It's in perfect condition which seems rare for a 20's hat, so there's that. Color combo could be a factor too. Any thoughts? In any case, it's quite lovely!
    fr_3539_size880.jpg fr_3540_size880.jpg fr_3541_size880.jpg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Suzanne is asking about the inside because a 1920s cloche would have been lined. So if this hat is 1920s, there should at least remnants or evidence of previous stitching.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  3. blubirdboutique

Just the mirror of the outside, no lining. So, perhaps 1970s?

4. blubirdboutique

Nope, no lining. So maybe 1970s?

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The fabric looks to be a fine machine knit. I think, if it's the same on both sides, it's a double knit fabric.

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

With no lining or structure and in those colors, I'm seeing 1990s.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

All I can add is that it is not antique, looks new to me. That bucket (or call it a cloche) style seems to be popular in so many decades. I also see a double knit pattern in the weave. It might even be a brand new hat from Target, etc. Or it could be 70s or 90s. But not really vintage.

Have you tried turning the brim up all around to change the style?

It is cute and I love the colors.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  8. blubirdboutique

So interesting how some styles just are so classic! I think you're all right and it's modern - or at least not vintage. I'll probably keep it and wear it :)
    Thanks!!!