1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2020

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by The Vintage Merchant, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLBenson

LLBenson Registered Guest

Welcome! No doubt you will make a lot of friends here! I hope you will post some pictures!

2. LLBenson

Welcome! It sounds like you have a really cool job! Is it permissible for you to show us any pictures from your museum? You wear fashions from the 30s through the early fifties, so you would wear World War 2 fashions? If you have any, can you show us some pictures? The 40s was an awesome era for fashion, in my opinion.

WerewolfSuzie and denisebrain like this.
  3. Becca4755

Becca4755 Registered Guest

We found this “dressing gown” in her closet while going through her stuff! It was a little stained from sitting in the closet for so long but we cleaned it up and not just waiting on the steamer to come in to get the wrinkles out!!

Attached Files:

denisebrain and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Ah! That's lovely!

5. LLBenson

Wow, that is really pretty! The light blue color is beautiful!

6. 103ideetjes

103ideetjes Registered Guest

Hello, I just registered as a guest. I collect vintage, and have a retail business in new fabrics, but mostly inspired by the past and if I can find them reproduction fabrics. The decades which interest me most are 20ies up to 50ies. Recently I acquired a huge dead stock of buttons and buckles from a fabric store that was founded in the thirties . I am not bad at dating pieces as I have been reading a lot about fashion history, but I was hoping to find out more about resources to date buttons and identify the materials

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. denisebrain

"A lady never discusses the size of her fabric stash" Good one! :hysterical:

Looking forward to seeing your buttons!

8. Carolyn Turner

Carolyn Turner Registered Guest

I am a newbie to this site and a 'vintage'myself and can remember my mother and grandmother wearing 1950's and 60's clothing - in fact, I used to dress up in mum's cocktail dresses and 'new look' (not the shop!) outfits. I also used to visit my great-grandmother, who had original Edwardian dresses, fans etc. and I was fascinated by them (they all got thrown out in the 1970's when she died - which is what people did in those days). I have now come into possession of some my mother's vintage clothes, and I am working my way through them, deciding what to sell, keep etc. I am heartened that my teenage daughter wants to keep a couple of coats from the 1950's. Some of them are really good quality, as mum worked in fashion, managing a high-end fashion shop in the 1950's, buying clothing and organising catwalk shows. Even now, in a care home, with dementia, she is still very smart and very particular about her clothing. I do lots of sewing myself, and although dressmaking and alterations aren't my priority (I'm more into soft furnishings), I am happy to embellish things and can turn my hand to clothing if needed. I cannot decide whether to alter some of mum's vintage clothing or sell it as it is. By the way, has anyone heard of Kashmoor Worumbo coats or Harick originals?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. denisebrain

What a wonderful legacy and background Carolyn—I'll bet you have photos of some very stylish family members! Oh, and welcome!!

I don't know Harick, but Worumbo was a fabric mill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worumbo_Mill). I imagine Kashmoor (with the Asian-style writing) was a specific fabric meant to resemble cashmere. I could see it in newspapers in the mid 50s, but just in ads, not in any detailed description.

10. shinybrightskies

shinybrightskies Registered Guest

Hi, I am new(ish) to VFG as well. I used to sell vintage on ebay many moons ago under bombshellvintage. 2000-2006 - back when eBay was fun. I haven't sold vintage since but have been carrying around a heap of it for years and years. I have also since moved to Australia and I am tired of storing things I don't use.. so I am going to flog my baggage over the next year. I have forgotten a lot of things so I apologize in advance if I need help with labels or fabric types. Thanks so much for putting together such a great resource!

Retro Ruth and denisebrain like this.
  11. denisebrain

shinybrightskies likes this.
  12. Nordgreen

Nordgreen Registered Guest

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum I love to collect watches especially the antique watches and large men's watches. I hope will enjoy this forum and if you people have information about large men watches or antiques watches please share and I will also share all the information about watches I have.

Kristoffer Holten.

denisebrain and Retro Ruth like this.
  13. Rose Maria

Rose Maria Registered Guest

Hi, my name is rose Alvina. Professionally I'm wedding and events planner based in Miami, FL. I'm offering services related to wedding planning, event planning, complete coordination, creative design, and theme decor along with inclusive event management for any size wedding, party, corporate event, and luxury wedding planning. We are also providing our professional services in Paris.

14. Vanessa Howard

Vanessa Howard Registered Guest

Hi all

have just joined the forum. Loved vintage all my life and have been collecting for over 35 years. Had a vintage boutique in Clare, Suffolk but closed it to move to the Dordogne in South West France. Now have space to have a small private fashion museum for which I do private tours on request. My main passion outside the museum is ladies nightwear and have over 500 pieces from 1880 to date. Am writing a book on the subject and do talks too. Thinking of doing one on zoom, but never done one before so if anyone has been in the same situation, please drop me a line.

denisebrain and Vintagiality like this.
  15. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Welcome Vanessa. Your collection sounds lovely.

16. Rosa Rojas

Rosa Rojas Registered Guest

Hello, my name is Rosa and I live in the USA in the state of California I have always been interested in vintage stuff it can be anything that is vintage from cars, clothing, record players, projectors, music, etc. I'm not even sure how I got to this website but I'm grateful that I did because I don't really see people that like the same things I do. I don't have any vintage clothes but I went to an Estate sale and found a beautiful purple dress that I think is from 1970 it can be older but I'm not sure. Also, I have an old record player that I believe is from the 1950s, and it's in great condition I'm not sure how much is worth but I bought it from a lady that said her husband had to many stuff, so he had to sell something. I hope to learn more about vintage clothing and other stuff. I hope everyone is safe and happy.

denisebrain likes this.
  17. denisebrain

Welcome to you Rosa! It's safe to say the love of vintage is strong here—Glad you found your way!

18. denisebrain

Vanessa, welcome! Do you have a website for your small museum? I'm sure we'd all like to see this!

19. Sherrill Hinton

Sherrill Hinton Registered Guest

Warm greetings to all... I stumbled upon VFG trying to find some information about some beaded purses that belonged to my grandmother and unable to find by label. I'm confident that with the group's vast knowledge... I will be enlightened.

denisebrain likes this.
  20. denisebrain

Greetings to you Sherrill! We look forward to seeing your grandmother's bags!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.