1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2020

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by The Vintage Merchant, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Historyhunter

Historyhunter Registered Guest

Hi! I found VFG while searching for information on the Loma Dress Company in NYC. A user "Gossamer" posted the history she uncovered about Loma from one of their labels. I am an Historian who offers live and virtual presentations about the bits of hidden history I've uncovered at Estate/tag/garage sales, etc. I have a "Dear John" letter written by a daughter of the owner in 1942, which paints an amazing story of relationships between soldiers and strangers during the war. The research Gossamer did, has added to my knowledge about the background of the company and the period. I have started a conversation with her in the hopes that I can share my discovery with her. I also come across vintage fashion items (books, papers, photos, etc.) and I look forward to sharing them in the attempts to create more additions to my "Stories from the Attic." You can see more at my site: www.foundastory.com

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG President Staff Member

Hello @Historyhunter—It is so good to have you here! What you are doing seems fascinating, and I can definitely say we'd be intrigued by, and try to help you with, your Stories from the Attic.

Historyhunter likes this.
  3. shuvasishphotography

shuvasishphotography Registered Guest

Hello ,
    I'm kind of new here. I've been registered for a while and did some research, but this is my first time posting. want to know more about this forum

4. Erika Lara

Erika Lara Registered Guest

Hello all! I'll try this again. My name is Erika and I love vintage, thrift shopping and just admiring clothing from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Growing up in Los Angeles I have come across some vintage finds while thrift shopping and I'd like help in dating some of them. Thank you for putting together these resources. The label resources was especially helpful for dating other items.

5. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

Welcome Erika!

6. denisebrain

We're happy to help you date your thrift shop finds @Erika Lara! :)

7. Kathryn Hughes

Kathryn Hughes Registered Guest

Hey everyone!

My name is Kathryn and I am a fashion enthusiast, always reading blogs online and sites with new fashion trends. Great to join and can't wait to listen to your vintage fashion trends.

denisebrain likes this.
  8. denisebrain

helloemoti Welcome Kathryn!

9. Angela Taylor

Angela Taylor Registered Guest

Hi This is my first post to the forum. I am doing some family research and am trying to find information about the two London fashion houses where my mother worked in the 1920s and 1930s.
    After leaving school, she went as an apprentice to Bradleys at 1 Cheptsow Place, London W2. Later, she moved to The White House at 51 New Bond Street. I believe she also did some photographic modelling and was photographed by the Bassano Studio. I have seen hundreds of negatives and am still trying to establish which ones are her. After the War, in about 1948, she went to Johannesburg to open a branch of The White House there.
    So I wonder whether there is any way to pull all this together - perhaps by tracking down the archives of the fashion houses?
    If anyone has any suggestions for further research - or information - I should be most grateful.

denisebrain and Retro Ruth like this.
  10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Angela! Can I suggest you start a new post about this in the Q&A forum, where more people are likely to see it, here: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-vintage-fashion-ask-questions-get-answers.39/
    Just click the link above, and click Post New Thread at the top right.
    Some of our members have access to newspaper archives that can provide useful information.

denisebrain likes this.
  11. Lorraine Bocharova

Lorraine Bocharova Registered Guest

Hello all!
    So glad to be here, my name is Lorraine. :)
    I came across VFG when I was looking for a label for the recent vintage piece purchase. What an incredible website and the knowledge the community provides!
    Thank you all!

12. denisebrain

Welcome to you Lorraine! :hiya: I’m so glad you found us.

13. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hello! I've just registered and hae been a fan of late 60s and early 70s styles for awhile. I'm a collector and recently a seller. I just opened up a shop on Instagram and etsy.

I'm here to learn and research and ask questions to help id my beloved items!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
  14. denisebrain

Hello SusieQsie! I had to remove the selling details from your post because we have a rule that no guests may share links to selling sites or items that they are selling. (More about forum rules: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/)

That said, you are most welcome here! I am a big fan of 1972-74 especially—I love the retro nostalgia. Looking forward to seeing your beloved items and helping answer your questions.

15. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hi no problem, I see people have links in their bios though, is that allowed?

16. denisebrain

Yes, but only for trade members.

17. wildirish

wildirish Registered Guest

Hopefully I am not out of order posting this question here-- I am trying to figure out how to navigate the forums. :)

18. denisebrain