1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: VINTAGE COLLECTIONS – WHAT DO YOU COLLECT?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Aug 25, 2020.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

I love your doll collection, Karin! I see so many cool vintage doll clothes while out sourcing and always have to stop myself from picking some up, lol. Not enough room to maintain a doll wardrobe right now! :)

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I just love your collection, it brings back so many fond memories of playing with Barbie!

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Karin, I love your Barbies. I have one--I think Donna Karen. I tried to interest my grand-daughter in Barbie without success. In fact, my efforts to interest her in any dolls were a failure. I have a couple of other dolls as well that I need to find homes for.

I have a small postcard collection from about age 12-13. My mother kept it. I need to find a home for it as well. What did you do with yours?

Charlie had a stamp collection and recently sorted through it to more or less organize it. One son is going to take it.

My mother saved "everything"--it seems like everything anyway, but the only collection was her genealogy books and they are useful.

Recently I had an email from a colleague who retired several years ago and we were discussing all the fashion stuff we had accumulated. Her comment was that she knew her children would have preferred that she collect stamps instead of Chanel suits.

The only advantage of the pandemic is that we have to stay home and have time to sort through our accumulations.

denisebrain likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Claire, my small postcard collection is long gone... I probably just gave the postcards away.

I remember the Donna Karan doll - that was around the moment when Barbie doll collecting hit the big time. I guess some kids just know what they want or not. I had other dolls beside Barbie but also Lego. Baby dolls weren't much my thing though.

5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I have too many things I collect: vintage jewelry, postcards (unlike some of you, I still collect them!), quilts, linens, old newspapers and fashion/movie magazines, etc., etc.

But the one thing I love is collecting very old items that might have a real person's name on it. I then look up the name in Ancestry, find the most direct descendant I can, and then send that person a note, asking if they would like the item. If they do, I send it to them. It is hard to describe how excited folks get to find something from a distant ancestor, so, of course, it is so much fun to collect these things. AMAZING FUN! 5933D1D2-96F1-4E6E-9E57-C682AA8AF027.jpeg B4402BC1-FE27-4459-8280-778A80E84CF6.jpeg

Usually it is old photographs I find, but some of the more interesting things have been a lithographed family tree with pictures from 1888, two old diaries, and my favorite was a 1806 fold up "purse" with the lady's name and location (Philadelphia) on it. I admit, I was very tempted to keep that one--I loved it--but better sense prevailed. Often, when I tell antique dealers what I am doing, they give me a great discount!!!

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That is so interesting and wonderful Janine!

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree!

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I believe there is nothing a collector enjoys more than sharing his or her collection, but I revel in the collections that have been posted in this thread and I look forward to seeing more.

I am embarrassed to say I gathered over the many years more stuff than I would ever have the nerve to show here, but that is largely a byproduct of my age. I am posting here, though, a very small part of the stuff I have in my laundry room (where else?). I am probably going to dispose of most of it when we move in a couple of years, so I am taking photos as I go along. In addition to these laundry items I have an old washing stick, scrubbing boards, old clothespins and clothespin bags, the old heavy sad irons, a doll's washing tub and scrub board, tiny clothespins, a tiny clothesline, and more useless stuff.

When we built the laundry room, I asked the cabinet maker to fashion door handles from old clothespins and in the photo here you can see here what he created. They work wonderfully.

EarlyLaundrySoaps2020.JPG
    LaundryRoomClothespinHandleAngled.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Great door handles Lynne. And Janine - so very nice of you.

Distantdetails and lkranieri like this.
  10. denisebrain

Lynne, do your vintage cleaning potions' containers still have their contents?

lkranieri likes this.
  11. Midge

I love that, Lynne!

I still use the Sunlight soap from my grandma for stains etc. She bought a huge carton in 1945 and my mom, aunt and me are still using up that last of those soaps...

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Yes, they do. Are you looking for something among the boxes?

13. denisebrain

No, just curious. I've always been interested in the ingredients of washing solutions from days gone by. Are there any dangerous ingredients, or are they all good stuff?

14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I *think* they are primarily just soap flakes, but I will check when I am down there again.

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.
  15. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Lynne -

What a great collection! Love the clothespin handles. I have newer clothespins (not a collection) that I use to hang my masks outside to dry after I wash them! I, too, have many collections. I will share a few others while we are on this topic!

I don't have plans to move but if I do - I have a lot of things that I have owned for years that I would have to send to new homes!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Distantdetails likes this.
  16. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I have been sharing a few of my private collections on IG. Since I shot this today I figured I would share my photo here, too. Just a few pieces of my vintage eyeglass collection.

IMG_20200902_161939_436.jpg

17. Blue Wren Vintage

Blue Wren Vintage Registered Guest

Thank you Claire, I didn’t know that about the Sophie dress but it makes total sense. It is so exquisite. You’re welcome to stop in and check her out, I’m down under :USETHUMBUP:

18. Midge

19. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

What a wonderful thread!

20. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

What DON’T I collect!?
    9E4207CC-C54C-4963-AA22-1B2D9666F5C9.jpeg