1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything you need to know about caring for your vintage collection

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

aka "A down and dirty guide to care and cleaning for the vintage seller"

Some years back, the wonderful Hollis Jenkins-Evans of Past Perfect Vintage, took the time to share her knowledge on how she cares for her amazing inventory. It began life as a forum workshop, and morphed into an article on the VFG website.

We've given this piece a make-over and made it easier to navigate. There's a wealth of useful information, and I certainly learnt a thing or two.

Take a look and tell us what you think. Did you learn anything new? Let us know in this thread.

Care and Cleaning for the Vintage Seller

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a great resource, and the way you've divided it up is very handy and searchable!

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Look at that!! Lovely!

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes, well, it was worth special treatment Hollis! I learnt loads from it.

Kevin Stone likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a fantastic and thorough resource!! thanks, Hollis, and thanks, Ruth!!

7. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Excellent!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I DO love this. It's a really nice contribution, and I will keep it in my "special" notebook!
    Thanks, Hollis and Ruth!!!
    beatingHeart

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

10. Lindsay Deal

Lindsay Deal Registered Guest

I'm curious about clear plastic storage containers for polyesters and other synthetics. Any thoughts?

11. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I read the Documentation several weeks ago. I wish I had had this before I started collecting! Even so, I can make a few changes.

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

@Lindsay Deal The problem with a plastic is that it doesn't "breathe", meaning it's airtight, unlike a cardboard box. Whilst that may keep a lot of things out, this can also create problems for your the clothes stored in there as air can't circulate - and that as far as I know doesn't matter what material the clothing stored in there is made of.

13. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

So can I get some additional confirmations that Orvus is worth it? Is this what everyone uses?

14. denisebrain

15. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The Orvis info Maggie posted is really great.

16. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That is a good link! I use Orvus for handwashing. I have one of those big tubs, which I got at my local Coastal Farm & Auto store in the livestock care section. It will probably last me forever.

17. Blondzai

so you also use orvus as your go to for vintage clothes?

18. Blondzai

19. denisebrain

Me? I haven't used it much, but Hollis (who recommends it in the article) knows her stuff!

My go to's depend on the item and the condition. There are so many variables. I have certain favorites, and I've worked to find out what's in each of them so I can decide which product or combination of products makes the most sense.

MagsRags likes this.