1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything you need to know about caring for your vintage collection

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Jun 12, 2020.

1. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Orvus is marketed as quilt soap - and dog wash! but it works very well for vintage textiles.

MagsRags likes this.
  2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh what a wonderful resource! I very much enjoyed reading it.

My mother gave me some dubbin many years ago for vintage leather (it used to be used regularly in the 40s & 50s and probably even before then). It works particularly well for dry and cracked leathers, shoes, handbags, belts etc. Not for use on suede or nubuck though. It is oil based so any leather that will spoil with a drop of oily liquid is a no go.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I learn something every time I read it.

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Your compliment is music to our ears, @Bilal kk ! The VFG offers many amazing resources for Vintage fashion lovers.

Our mission? To be "the leading online resource for vintage fashion - fostering knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of vintage fashion through our international community of members".

And welcome to the VFG forums!

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.
  5. David Sons

David Sons Registered Guest

Thanks , Great resources

Distantdetails likes this.
  6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Fantastic! You had me hooked on the introduction page with the rule "When in doubt, don't". Love that!!

7. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

so regarding spot cleaning ... I have had good success with that depending on the fabrics of course. Also I'm talking mid century to modern seldom earlier unless it is sturdy colorfast wool. I blot with a clean, white, absorbent cotton cloth and whatever cleaning solution is best suited to the textile. I feather out quite a ways which seriously reduces or eliminates the "ring" issue and I often spot clean in stages letting it dry before the next round. Spot cleaning before laundering makes a big difference for me. Indeed some stains and spots are permanent but some are not. I can sometimes tell by pressing a damp Q-tip to the spot and seeing if it lifts off anything. Fingers crossed, I have never ruined anything with careful spot cleaning but I have saved a number of things. Having said all that I Never spot clean items that are delicate, old, have a pile finish or an "industry" finish, no leather, silks are generally off limits and I always test for dye fastness. I defiantly apply the when in doubt rule.

Retro Ruth and MagsRags like this.
  8. Cory_m

Cory_m Registered Guest

Hi there. I'm new. I already introduced myself.
    I am having trouble posting images when I start a new thread. It asks for URL/LINK all.i want is to post an image

9. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Thanks you Hollis and Ruth, I'm sure I'll be referring to this often for help and guidance.

pastperfect2 and Retro Ruth like this.
  10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Cory, The "Introduce yourself" thread is part of our Public Information Center. (click to go there)

There are lots of helpful threads there, including an FAQ on How To Post a Photo.

Kevin Stone likes this.
  11. Kevin Stone

Kevin Stone Registered Guest

The information you provide is very detailed. I will share it with my friends.

12. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I just reread this whole resource - and I still stand by it!
    I would add an option I had not used at the time I wrote this:
    If your item is smelly/musty, I have had great success with my local drycleaners who provide an Ozone treatment that did wonders.
    No water, no fluid, no handling. They hung my 1920s dresses in a room and did the ozone thing, and the smell was gone!

13. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Would you please say where you'd place that info in the content Hollis? I will add it.

14. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Part 3 - maybe under Airing? The solution for smelly clothes!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.