1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Misses Shop Bullock's label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, Dec 13, 2020.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Hello everyone!
    Hope everyone is well, healthy and happy.

I have a coat I believe to be 1930s. It has this label. I cannot find another example of this label anywhere. Has anyone else seen this label. The coat is going to the dry cleaner (crossing fingers), but thought I would put the label out there. I can take some pics of the coat when it comes back. It's too large to fit in my freezer otherwise I would just freeze it instead of dry cleaning. IMG_1884.jpg

2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Sandra, this is quite a thrill for me - I've been collecting Bullock's and Bullock's Wilshire labels forever and have never come across this particular label or department, for that matter. As you've probably read, Bullock's had different labels for each named department. Later, when the company expanded beyond downtown and into the suburbs of Los Angeles, the label designs were different for each location, as well.

It does look quite early, but seeing the garment would be most helpful.

May we add it to the Label Resource?

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Just did a quick search and I saw a handful of ads for the Misses Shop from 1932. I will post an example in a few

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

upload_2020-12-13_20-48-19.png
    Here is a snippet of a portion of an ad from the Los Angeles Times, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]12 July 1932

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  5. Vintagiality

6. Vintagiality

7. debutanteclothing

IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1887.jpg IMG_1889.jpg IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1891.jpg IMG_1892.jpg IMG_1893.jpg IMG_1894.jpg Marsha - oh I'm so glad! Yay. I love finding Bullock's labels as well since I'm a California native. Have you been to the Tea Room in the Bullock's Wilshire building? It's gorgeous. I went to a fashion show there.

Victoria - thank you! You're a master researcher. I did not come up with those ads at ALL!

Ok here you all go!

8. debutanteclothing

And yes please feel free to add the label to the Label Resource

Vintagiality likes this.
  9. debutanteclothing

I'm thinking 1938 due to the union label?

10. Vintagiality

According to our label resource, the National Recovery Board was brought into effect in 1934. Curious why you think 1938 specifically?

11. debutanteclothing

I thought it was the eagle symbol one that was early 30s

12. debutanteclothing

It can't be pre-1935: https://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2016/09/a-look-at-the-ilgwu.html

"The garment industry was struck hard by the Great Depression in the 1930s - buying new clothing was not a priority in households struggling to put food on the table. President Roosevelt's New Deal and the National Industrial Recovery Act (1933) established fair trade regulations and helped the industry get back on its feet. After the NIRA was declared unconstitutional in 1935, manufacturers and union representatives voluntarily formed the National Coat and Suit Recovery Board to ensure that safe work standards and fair practices would continue to be enforced, as indicated by the label in the c. 1955 coat above."

13. Vintagiality

Right. I do agree with post 1935. I was just wondering why 1938 specifically.

14. debutanteclothing

I saw another source and now I can't recall which one estimating this label being 1938.

15. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

What a fantastic coat! To my eye, this style is hugging the upper side of the mid 30s', as I think of the late 30's silhouette, bodice and sleeves as being more structured and close-fitting. Also, that wonderfully extreme capelet-like collar treatment screams mid-30s to me.

Here are some examples from Sears - not known for being au current.

1935 coat.JPG

1936 coat .JPG

1938 coat.JPG

And, yes! I too, am a native Angeleno! I grew-up shopping at Bullock's stores including the fabulous Bullock's Wilshire. The Tea Room was a favorite destination to take out-of-town guests - like stepping into another time. The day BW closed felt like attending a funeral for an old friend - preservationists, shopping patrons, neighbors, etc... all gathering for a final farewell. Thankfully, Southwestern Law School is a wonderful steward of the building and graciously opens its doors for tours and L.A. Art Deco Society events.

16. debutanteclothing

Oh those are great examples! Thank you Marsha.

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.