1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: VINTAGE COLLECTIONS – WHAT DO YOU COLLECT?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Aug 25, 2020.

1. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

And I love seeing all these collections. It's so interesting to see what people love and why they love it.

I'm a bit of a generalist, and I tend to cycle through collections. These days it's 80s kitsch, Dansk paperweights, and display hands. I also love vintage signs that relate to my name and/or my business.

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Susan - Loved seeing your display. Are your wall units Royal System? I had a teak Cado System (way) back in the day! I have a room with a very similar shade of gold wall!!!

This will give you an idea of what I collect - but only a tiny glimpse!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There are more chickens/roosters - and even some rooster plates but I will save them for another day!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Linn

Last one (on this topic....) I bought these at a shop in San Francisco in either 1980 or the very early '80s. They are now vintage. They are French faience. The plates are signed S. Clement. I change the scarf frequently. The current one is from a fabric sample. I am trying to remember the name of the store. It was on Sutter Street - a few block past Powell. I went there every time I went to SF back then. I still use some (very tired) plaid cotton napkins that I bought there. The change plate and match holder in the photo above are from there, also. I am not sure when the store closed. Hopefully the name will come to me - or someone will remember. I will continue to ask Google but so far no luck! I have to stop searching because I am finding all sorts of wonderful plates that I do NOT need!!! Edited: The name of the shop was "La Vie du Soleil" - I remembered the name. I have a photo of the chicken and the plates on my table C. 1981.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Linn - it's a Cado unit. Danish teak furniture is something else that I collect when I can find it.

I LOVE your home. I know you are an interior decorator and it shows. Your wall colors are an inspiration!

5. Linn

Thank you, Susan! You would love my office. I have a large Danish teak desk that was my husbands - it's probably from the early '70s! I probably had the same Cado System you have.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Linn

Karin - I have one Quimper plate. I didn't know this until I just looked it up: St. Clément took over the production of Luneville Pottery in 1968. (I love Luneville.....).

This is my Quimper. I took it in place on the bookcase with my phone. You can get the idea, though!

upload_2020-9-4_10-12-49.png

Distantdetails and Joyatri like this.
  8. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

What an eclectic group of collections! It's funny what attracts different people.

As a child and again as a young adult, I collected vintage dog-related items -- photos, figurines, ephemera, etc. I have some of that collection spread around my apartment and some packed away. I've also been slowly selling it.

My collecting has pretty much been curtailed since I ran out of space in my apartment about 20 years ago :)

My most serious collection is ceramic tiles -- English Victorian and art nouveau, though I have a few American and European tiles. I used to travel to the U.K. and Europe often for my job in the 1980s and 90s. I'd hit flea markets and car boot sales and would come back with a very heavy suitcase. I've cataloged the collection and I used to give lectures and write about tiles. Most of my tiles are on a plate rail around my bedroom.
    tiles1.jpg tiles2.jpg tiles3.jpg tiles4.jpg tiles5.jpg

The only items I've collected in recent years have been velvet bags which were made around 1970 in Pakistan. It started when I picked up the light blue and white one at a yard sale for $1 about 15 years ago. I use them. I think I have all I need for now.

bags1b.jpg bags1d.jpg bags2.jpg bags3.jpg

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Fascinating—love your tiles and bags both Jo!

Joyatri likes this.
  10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Those tiles are beautiful! Love seeing all these collections.

Racked Vintage and Joyatri like this.
  11. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I love your tiles!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

12. Linn

LOVE your tiles and bags, Jo - especially the way you have displayed the tiles! I picked up a tile in France in 1985 - I will have to take a photo to show you!

Racked Vintage likes this.
  13. Linn

upload_2020-9-5_9-43-0.png

I bought these tiles in Burgundy in 1985. The are marked with a crown on the back. Unfortunately the tile on the left is not in perfect condition. I never did anything with them, so I put them out on a table on my lanai today to enjoy! Jo, your collection reminded me about them!

Distantdetails likes this.
  14. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.
  15. Linn

Thanks for contributing! On that same trip I brought back some wine and an oil painting that is still hanging in my house. I think I carried all of it onto the airplane. Times have definitely changed!

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

@Linn , yes, that's so typically Quimper! Here's my plate from Quimper, by Henriot:
    quimper.jpg
    20 years ago I spent a happy summer French course in Brest... though it feels like I spent more time hanging out at the local beach or going out at night than at school :hysterical:. One of the weekend excursions the school offered was to Quimper. Such a pretty town!

17. matthewgilkes22

matthewgilkes22 Registered Guest

I like to collect perfume bottles and I love rectangular bottles like Chanel, Serge Lutens and Narciso Rodriguez. My favourite bottle ever is Vol de Nuit by Guerlain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See: https://www.theperfumesdiary.com/perfume-reviews/best-chanel-perfume/

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  18. Distantdetails

Me too, me too. I like the ones that still have some perfume in them!!!

19. Distantdetails

Linn, do you know what I like best about your house??? The open windows!! It must be paradise to not need AC or Heat.

20. Linn

Most of the time that's true. I have ceiling fans in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms - and they run 24/7. About a week and a half ago a winter storm came through here - very high winds and lots and lots of rain. The temperature dropped about 15 degrees (at least) in about 20 minutes. I raced around trying to close every window possible (plus the rain was coming in.) I turned down the fan speeds - and got under the covers. But usually, the windows are open!