1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying top hat label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tony Davis, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Registered Guest

14.5cm outer height
    13.5cm inner height

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Perhaps concentrating on the exact height is not going to be any more helpful at this point. While the height can be important in dating a top hat, it is not the only factor. Your hat is 6" tall, so we can pretty safely rule out that it is not earlier than mid 19th century. And from all the other looks of the hat, especially the interior and markings, it is late 19th century. Possibly very early 20th century (but I doubt it) and if so, not very much into that era. There are more clues to consider, but I cannot evaluate without handling it in person.

After a while of handling, not just seeing photos of, many antique top hats you will get an idea of the dating just by a glance or two. And then a closer inspection reveals more. Like all collecting, experience and time are the best tools.

GemGem and Nancylou like this.
  3. Nancylou

Nancylou Registered Guest

Is there anything in the hatband?

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The info from the top hats site would date it between 1837 and 1920 roughly with that height, which is pretty much in line with your dating, although of course, yours is more specific. I understand that its not a reliable source but am glad to hear that it is not all nonsense. :)

5. Interesting, though contemporary, info: GUIDANCE ON THE USE OF ROYAL ARMS, NAMES AND IMAGES

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.