1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Sterling Stall swing coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Deebuysvintage, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Deebuysvintage

Deebuysvintage Registered Guest

Hello!

I bought this beautiful Sterling Stall coat the other day, and I’m looking for help dating it, if anyone is able to help! Thank you

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Nice! I would describe the silhouette as more trench like than swing. Swing coats generally “swing” from the shoulders, as opposed to having a defined waist like yours.
    Have you looked at the VFG Label Resource to see if you can narrow dating a bit by using the union label and the Woolmark logo?

ETA: welcome to the VFG forums!

Deebuysvintage likes this.
  3. I am seeing a 1970s style. I agree with the trench style, not swing.
    It looks well made.

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a great quality—nice find!

5. Deebuysvintage

Thank you! I’m not sure what that all means, but I will try and do some research.
    I got the swing coat part from the tag at the vintage store, it said “1960s swing coat”, but thank you for the feedback!

6. MagsRags

Sorry, many forum members find us first via our Label Resource (clickable link). It does have union label info in addition to hundreds of designers and manufacturers.

7. Deebuysvintage

Ohhh, thank you!
    From looking there, it confirms what you guys are thinking with it being in the 70s. The union symbol matches the one here, and further down it said they switched the needle to going down from right to left in 1968.
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, definitely 70s and not a swing coat. Nice find!

9. Deebuysvintage

As well it appears they switched and became the Sterling Stall Group in 1978. So around then!

Attached Files:

10. MagsRags

11. Deebuysvintage

Okay! I will do that, there isn’t a post for the Sterling Stall Group so maybe can do it under that

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

That coat is soooooo gorgeous!! The seam details are crazy! I can definitely see MaxMara or a simliar design house reissuing it for their own collection.