1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40s peplum suit -- what's missing?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Love it! I think you are showing it correctly. Maybe there was a velvet/fabric (reversible) tie that went into those two holes - that would form a bow??? I have a Lilli Ann '40's jacket that has a very versatile collar:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And I think you can even wear it open - but I don't have a photo of it like that.

2. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

Linn and I posted simultaneously, and we have the same thought :)

That Lilli Ann collar is fascinating!

Jen

3. That sounds like a possibility, too. They were clearly used. Perhaps a lace or other contrasting collar? Quite the mystery!

4. I like the scarf idea? To me the fact the the button holes arent flat is a big clue? I think scarf maes a lot of sense, but curious to see if anyone is familiar with this feature?

5. Oh wow! just saw the Lilla Ann jacket, Linn. Amazing.

I like the shoulder pads in mine. They are set on lengths of twill tape, and can snap in and out.

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Here's my take:
    The collar and cuffs probably weren't meant to be reversible, they are just lined in the suit fabric. They could be taken off for dry-cleaning or laundry. The telling point will be the quality of the buttonholes stitching on the print side.If they don't look as finished as usual, it wasn't meant to be seen. I agree the large buttonholes probably held a scarf that went round the back underneath and came out in front to tie in a bow at the front of the neckline.

7. Interesting! PPV - buttonholes on cuffs (and collar thingy) appear to be the same on both sides. Wouldn't matter, really, as once you turn back the cuffs (or button on the collar), the buttonholes aren't visible.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll mention the scarf theory in my listing. Maybe someone will get creative and add her own scarf ; ).

Guess it's on to the next...

8. Nice suit - I agree with Jen that the button holes are for a scarf - but I don't think they're original. They don't sit very well, and should be backed onto a stiffer fabric so I think they've been added on by someone.

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ah well it was a try anyway ;)

The scarf idea works, it would explain the gap above the buttons too, if there was a matching scarf that is supposed to hang there.

10. I'm imagining it was for some sort of detachable ascot. The lowered button placement seems to indicate that there was decoration above the bust.