1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arnold Scaasi 2-pc set - Authentic?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by queen0ftheang3ls, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Claire, of course you're right--it is embroidered, and I did know that when I shot it..... But I wasn't looking at it when I posted, just looking at the photos, and forgot what the hell it really was, and can't see well enough to see the embroidery!!!! That's what posting at 7 a.m. without having finished my first cup of coffee and with going on about 4 hours of sleep will do for you....

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Coffee is essential to beginning the day! C

3. secondlooks

secondlooks Alumni

I was thinking my jacket was 80s but I'm not so sure, there are no shoulder pads, the lining on the sleeves is silk but the rest does not appear to be, there is no store label or care tags. I am wondering about the outer fabric which is very thin, like tissue. The jacket is very light but has a wide band of interfacing on lower section ( between fabrics). This is a close-up of the fabric, there's a waffle-like design behind the floral.
    [​IMG]

4. queen0ftheang3ls

queen0ftheang3ls Registered Guest

Wow! That's just gorgeous! Obviously, the skirt is a gem, but I really like the structure on the blouse as well. I don't know if they were intended to be worn as a set, but having the exaggerated, cape-like sleeves and the textured embroidery really balances out with the loud boldness of the skirt. They work well together.

How are the center of the flowers done? Is that a separate orange fabric, or is it heavy embroidery?

Thanks for posting the pics!

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Actually this is a one-piece dress, which really highlights Scaasi's use of different fabrics & patterns in one piece or set. I think one could say that this is "quintessential" Scaasi, but for not being a long, more formal piece. It is dressy but I don't think I'd call it really "formal."

The orange flower centers are embroidered in a dense satin stitch with fine embroidery thread. So they give heavy coverage but are not "heavy" themselves. The ribbons are edged on one side with a raffia or straw-like narrow trim, for stiffening the edges of the petals, I assume.

I find the construction of this dress to be very interesting and unique. I wish I knew why it hasn't sold yet! Well, maybe now with spring coming and weddings and parties, someone will want it! I'd keep it if it fit me.....

Do you think it might pass as a prom dress, since apparently short dresses rather than floor-length ones are "in" this year?

6. queen0ftheang3ls

Lol, well no wonder the bodice and skirt look so cute together!

I think a young girl would look absolutely adorable at a prom in it. I know when I was going to proms, it was all about Cinderella skirts and heavy beading - you know, where the bodice is so tight you can't breathe, and the skirt's so full you can't dance! Magical. :)

But if short skirts are the thing now, someone could for sure pull off a sweet retro look with your dress. I'm sure you'll sell it soon!

7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

8. queen0ftheang3ls

Thanks for posting the article, Claire! Very interesting stuff - and I love that I can see the same sort of hand-stitched, carefully done details on my own Scaasi garment.
    I'm going to have to check out your books on couture; I'm always looking to improve my own sewing skills!