1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barkcloth/bark cloth and mid-century interiors. Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Sep 10, 2014.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

2. This barkcloth has an interesting story. It's dated 1952 and was manufactured by Riverdale.
    Associated American Artists was established in the mid-1930s to bring art to the middle classes. (AAA prints have been featured on "Antiques Roadshow" and can fetch high $$.) From 1952-57, AAA also offered apparel and interior decorating fabrics. The curator of the American Textile History Museum has written an informative paper on the subject (my particular fabric is not mentioned): http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1394&context=tsaconf. I've contacted her to see if she'd like me to donate a piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you for posting that link, Donna. I'm printing out a copy for my own reference. :)

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  4. Too funny. I just pulled this barkcloth vintage chaise lounge or day bed cover from my stock to sell. It is very similar to the first print. I can't make out the name, Mar.... Fabrics.
    vintage barkcloth chaise cover.JPG

These are my sun room curtains from the 40s.
    barkcloth curtain vintage 40s.JPG

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

The author of that AAA article, Karen Herbaugh, is working on a book, I believe.

Here's my favorite barkcloth:

[​IMG]

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This is such a fun thread. I have this pair coming up tomorrow on ebay.

AbstractPatternBarkclothDrapes2vfg.jpg

Guaranteed To Be A Preshrunk GOLDCO Vat Print AURORA

This one is actually not barkcloth but a heavy cotton.
    Pardon the creases...For the last month I have been slowly opening up boxes from when I moved here 11 years ago...it has to be done and what great surprises as I muddle along!!!

I found this one alone at a garage sale and could not leave it behind
    as I did already own a pair that I have had hanging in my dining room area in the past.
    I try to rotate them so they don't completely disintegrate from the sun.

I just love this cityscape print!

cityscapedrapevfg.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'd love to make that cityscape print into a dress! I supopose it's too heavy?

9. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

That city scape is great!
    MJ--it's like Christmas everyday at your house.
    Opening boxes from 11 years ago! You never know what you may find--sounds like fun!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. poppysvintageclothing

That is what it has been feeling like...and some of it I don't remember at all.

Melanie, I will let you know if I decide to part with the single drape. It's difficult to judge the actual weight because it has
    an all cotton lining as well.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. I received such a kind reply from Karen, curator at the American Textile History Museum in Lowell, MA, to my offer of a fabric donation! A portion of her email:

"I could hug you! That paper I wrote on the AAA fabrics was quite a while ago and since then I have documented over 200 fabrics. I also just finished a book chapter on the AAA textile designs as part of a larger book on the whole organization. Although, I have documented “Geraniums” from ads I have never found an actual piece of the fabric."

She also states that there will be an exhibition of the AAA fabrics at the museum in the fall of 2016. Luckily, I have a friend who lives in the Boston area so I hope to plan a trip to Massachusetts at that time and see the exhibition. :)

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Linda, thanks for starting this thread, I've had so much fun looking at all those great vintage fabrics, and the funny TV lamps (again something I didn't know existed!). Please show us photos of your new house once you've moved in and decorated it. It sounds like the place where I would love to live if I could get my hands on all these things :).
    Here's something I bought just because I loved th ook of it:
    longinesymphonette.jpg
    The Longines Symphonette - alarm clock, radio and lamp. It actually works and the seller even provided me with some spare bulbs. I just can't find out though how the clock can be adjusted...

13. poppysvintageclothing

I have never forgiven myself for not buying the top version for $20.00!!!!

14. Midge

15. pinky-a-gogo

I bought the same jvc tv-radio at a yard sale for $20 too!!...I sold it.:duh2:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Does yours have the hanging chain?

17. pinky-a-gogo

Mine had the chain.
    I kept it for awhile but when I moved I parted with a lot of items I wish that I kept.
    I was in a minimalist period--I didn't want any clutter. :wacko:

18. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would have thought that would be the ulimate minimalist tv - floating in the corner!

19. Midge

20. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Wow! I'm feeling inspired by your collecting passion!