1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Claire, that is frightenig and saddening.

I admit the only thing I've had photographed is my real jewelry, which is mostly heirlooms - they are also separately insured. I had a few pieces from my mom, then her best friend gave me something, then I received a few things from my grandmother and I realised that while a single piece might not be worth super much, the accumulated value might be more than I thought - which turned out to be true.
    I admit, my costume jewelry and also my dolls I have not much of by photos, or just what I've take to show on social media. But then my dolls are in display, redressed etc. - that would be hard to prove anyway, what's really what and worth what. Though everything accumulated, it is a certain value.

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Our homeowner's insurance will cover most of this. Photos would be a helpful to make a list, but looking at vintage and antique jewelry has been useful. In addition to the belly dancer's necklace, I had a kilt pin which I wore twice, some handmade art pins, many items were pieces we had purchased travelling, but nothing was really expensive. It could have been worse.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. So sorry this happened to you, Claire, but very glad that you are safe and unharmed. When I was a young girl, our home was burglarized and it definitely leaves you with a very strange feeling. Your home is your castle and the very thought that someone has been in your home and rummaged through your personal belongings, leaves you feeling very violated. And, you are so correct about photographing items. When we were asked to say what items were taken, it was very difficult to remember all the small things that were taken. We were missing things for months to come.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

So sorry to hear this news, Claire. I've been burglarized twice (lost my engagement ring the first time and my vintage costume jewelry collection the second), and the worst part is the sense of shock and violation.

Thank goodness the thieves left when you arrived! Pretty much the same scenario played out for us several years ago--the thief heard us parking in the garage and fled out the front door as we came up the basement stairs. He had kicked in the front door (right through the deadbolt, so this was not a 90 pound weakling!) The police told us there had been a rash of smash and grab similar burglaries like ours, seemingly drug related.

I'm glad your homeowner's insurance will cover most of what you've lost. That doesn't take away from the nastiness of the experience, but it will hopefully help a little!